2014-07-17 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 19th 2014, 12:14 PM'

From Brian's comments, it looks like there will some some European dates. I hope so...and I hope you'll be able to go. Then I will be green with envy!
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'Moonlightchiara' date='Jul 19th 2014, 12:55 PM'

Ok, I'm back and (hopefully) ready to give a somewhat coherent recap. (Uh oh, looking like a really long recap.)

So a bunch of minor annoyances had me in blah mood when I got on the train into the city, even tho I was obviously looking forward the the concert. I headed in with 2 cousins, and was meeting up with a friend in the city. We left Penn Station and walked around the Garden to get to our meeting place. It was really fun to see the big Queen & Adam Lambert signs. We walked around the back of the Garden and there were the trucks. Now, seeing all the trucks in the pictures people have posted was really cool, but it's a whole other thing to see them in person. There went my blah mood! I don't exactly know how to describe it, but seeing all those trucks was WOW!! I never expected to have that reaction. Several trucks were parked on the street, others were lined up in what seemed to be an underground garage driveway. We passed a group of 4 women having their picture taken with one of the trucks in the background. A few had on leopard print tops (as did I), so as I passed them, I said, "Hi, Glamberts!" I wondered if it any of them were people I would have known from here.

There were also a group of people waiting around some barricades set up in front of the driveway part, with a few guards there. We figured they were waiting to see if Adam showed up. My cousins teased me about staying there, saying they'd bring me back food, etc. if I really thought he'd show up, I might have stayed, but it was about 5:15 so I figured he might already be inside, plus we had to meet up with my friend. Hopefully I didn't miss my opportunity to see him, but I haven't seen any photos of him going in so I figure I didn't mess up!

We went across the street to the Stage Door Deli to eat. Perfect location, good food, great table. My friend's daughter and her husband, also going to the concert, joined us. I hit the ladies room before I left and heard, "Are you going to the concert? What time does it start?" and another woman said, "7:30." I laughed and said, "Well, it's supposed to start at 7:30, but you know our Adam. He's always late!" And we all laughed and wished each other a good time.

I insisted we go back to the Garden the way we came so I could see the trucks again. My friends and cousins insisted they take a picture of me in front of one of the trucks. (Can you tell I'm the only die hard Adam fan in the group?). I felt silly but what the heck....it was a once in a lifetime photo op! Lol

Nice surprise - no real line getting into the Garden. Heavy security, had to take (really small) handbag off shoulder, open up, guard checked inside with flashlight. Then had to go up to next guard and be scanned front and back with scanner. All guards super nice, though. Told us to have a great time.

We were up in the boondocks, section 211, off to side of the stage. Rode up 5/6? Floors on escalator, which was right next to windows, so we could look down on all,the Queen and Adam trucks. Still gave me a thrill!
When we got inside, my friend had a panic attack about the height, but we managed to get her in her seat and it was ok. Spoke to a couple behind us. The guy was a big queen fan, asked about opening act, was surprised and happy to hear there was none and no intermission, was very impressed with the length of the set list. Long wait to begin - 45 minutes! Crowd erupting in cheers, claps, etc every time they saw curtain move ("I saw feet!") or tested the smoke machines, etc. As someone else mentioned, there were quite a few empty seats, including a large floor section, which was weird because it was sold out. However, as soon as the lights went down, they filled in. Family and friends? Bigwigs?

Then the lights went down, the smoke gathered, the curtain came up to a roar from the fans and the show began. I have to say a lot of it was a blur. It was just so intense and I was focused on the moment. I remember bits and pieces. Not being a big Queen fan, I did not know the first 2 songs so even tho they were good, I didn't feel an instant connection. I remember I was concerned about the sound originally as it seemed like the instruments drowned out Adam a bit. (I was on the side) I didn't really notice that much after, though.

Things I do remember:
- I can't even remember which song it was in the beginning, but Adam sang this one note soooooooooo long, even falling down to his knees as he reached the end! Incredible!

- one of my favorite parts was during Killer Queen. First, as he took his long sip from the bottle, Brian gave him this affectionate sort of rolling his eyes look and walked away. Right after Adam "spouted" the champagne, he called out, "Hi, Mom!!" In the cutest voice, along with a little wave. It was kind of a combination " oops, mischievous boy caught doing something he wasn't supposed to, hi, Mom, aren't I cute? You didn't really see that or if you did, you won't get mad at me, please?" And "Hi, Mom! Can you believe I'm here on stage at MSG singing with Queen??!" So adorable!

- He started a call out during AOBTD and ended up running from one side staircase to the other, I mean, really running, pitting one side of the arena against the other in the loudness of their response. Then when we got good enough at that, he gave us a longer, more complicated call back. There was dead silence for a minute, then we all cracked up, including Adam, who said he would start again and build up to that.

- Loved loved loved WWTLF, Love Kills

- Brian and Roger showed tons of talent and energy. While I understand why some people said Brian's solo was too long, if you could just let go and relax into it, it was spectacular. LOML was so sweet, and the audience sang and many cried along with Brian. Much of the time, tho, he was ripping that guitar and power walking across the stage and up and down the side stairs. I can't believe this man had a cancer scare around the new year and has knee/ leg troubles. You'd never know it.

- Roger's duel with his son was fun. (Side note, when Rufus's pic showed up on screen, one of,the guys sitting
in front of me said,"Ooooh, nice." Lol). On TATTOOL, his voice might not have been the strongest, but I think it added to the poignancy of the song. And Under Pressure was fantastic!

- The mutual love and respect Brian, Roger, and Adam have for each other is just so evident in how,they work together, in their words, looks, and actions. They so obviously enjoy working with each other and it is just as obvious that they are having so much fun! There is just so much pure joy evident in this concert. I love how they fool around with each other, making funny faces, pounding on the piano, silly dance moves.....

- the power of Adam's voice is unbelievable. I can not imagine how he can go full throttle like that for over 2 hours (yes, I know he has some breaks, but still...) and then go on to do it again in a night or two and keep doing it. He is amazing.

There are still so many things I could say, but this is already way too long. I just want to end with both my friend's and my cousin's husbands told me that they heard from their wives how the concert was great and that I might have converted them. And that beautiful picture of Adam's mother holding her hands together in front of her and staring with a face full of love and pride? Well, I feel exactly like that!

Oops, one more thing! Another guy I know who is a huge Queen fan told me, "They were great, and your boy Adam was better than I expected." Ah, my boy Adam. :D

Ok, now I really better stop!
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 19th 2014, 12:56 PM'

@Alikat1323 has put up some of her pix:

She does post everything to her smugmug account...follow her on Twitter, she'll link when album is ready.
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'svca' date='Jul 19th 2014, 1:02 PM'

Yummy pics :icecream:

I love that 2nd one from the top, Adam looks like he's prowling :shifty:
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 19th 2014, 1:05 PM'

Don't stop me now.....

From @SosoChan

Where are you misswood???
#teamGoldPants

vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'madamimadam' date='Jul 19th 2014, 1:14 PM'

anon · 1h
:)) RT @Jadelle1: For those who haven't seen that cute moment :) He's such a gentleman <3

vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'barb4Adam' date='Jul 19th 2014, 2:09 PM'

I'm supposed to be packing...eyes! #itsAdamsfault :w00twave:
http://t.co/Bv6NFABdPU
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'barb4Adam' date='Jul 19th 2014, 2:22 PM'

REVIEW: Can Adam Lambert-Led Queen Keep The Band’s Classic Legacy Alive?

"He not only hits the operatic notes, which we must remember is no easy feat, but he accomplishes it with a mix of ferocity and glam elegance that do the song justice. You can almost hear a collective sigh of relief from the crowd as Lambert lets out the song’s final octave-straddling scream. This is gonna be alright." :thumbs: :w00twave: :hug:
http://on.vh1.com/1rqMvJ6 via @VH1Music
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'barb4Adam' date='Jul 19th 2014, 3:09 PM'

Awesome!!! :thumbs: :hug: :wub: :w00twave:
http://t.co/ZzjZinRa4z
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'barb4Adam' date='Jul 19th 2014, 3:18 PM'

http://t.co/pZGrerJGDs
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'madamimadam' date='Jul 19th 2014, 4:11 PM'

anon · 41m
I missed this Whoopi 's FB post AWWWWWW "Queen concert. Go Adam!!!" <3333 https://www.facebook.com/whoopigoldberg/pho...e=3&theater

fasmag247 · 1h
Adam Lambert : Pictures - July 19, 2014 http://www.fashionmagazine247.com/photos/1...uly-19-2014.php … via @fasmag247

funkNNsoul · 1h
Rt @Merrycello: MSG = Sold Out, will never get old :)

GlamPimpLinda · 2h
This pic I took is well, spiritual. @adamlambert @DrBrianMay
Freddie was definitely with you! @QueenWillRock

REVIEWS:

ZealNYCMusic · 40m
Check out my review of @adamlambert @QueenWillRock &my other reviews/blogs on our website http://zealnyc.com
http://zealnyc.com/queen-adam-lambert-madi...n-july-17-2014/

VH1Classic · 1h
Can @adamlambert-led @QueenWillRock keep the band's classic legacy alive? REVIEW--> http://on.vh1.com/WkPSEB
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 19th 2014, 5:07 PM'

From ZEAL NYC..they write about entertainment...all kinds...in NYC.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go...F%2Fzealnyc.com
July 18, 2014

It’s been 32 years since Queen last appeared at Madison Square Garden and now former American Idol finalist Adam Lambert has enthusiastically taken the baton indirectly from the mystical and magical Freddie Mercury (first handed to Paul Rodgers of Free and Bad Company fame). Fun fact: Lambert originally met and performed with Queen guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor on the finale of American Idol in 2009 singing We Are the Champions.

Adam and Queen took the stage at 8:15PM and played for nearly two and a half hours straight. Their set list included 22 songs and three instrument solos. During the massively popular hit Another One Bites the Dust, the crowd was on its feet singing and dancing along. For earlier classics like Fat Bottomed Girls, Somebody to Love and Tie Your Mother Down, Adam belted out some of his finest rock and roll vocals to date, while original members Brian May and Roger Taylor gave masterful performances on their instruments, reminiscent of the bands’ early days.

During the classic Under Pressure (originally featuring David Bowie on vocal duet), Roger Taylor nailed the duet.

Adam channeled Freddie Mercury throughout the show with his commanding stage presence, incredible voice, and flamboyant costumes that included black leather pants and pompadours.
At one point during Killer Queen, Adam showed off his theatrical talents (perhaps channeling Broadways’ Hedwig and the Angry Inch) by stretching out provocatively on a sofa while gazing into the audience’s eyes. This was glam rock at its finest.

Radio GaGa (the song that Lady Gaga credits for her stage name) is one of the best pop songs of the 80s and sounded as good live as it did back in the day. Midway through the song, Adam brought the audience into a sing-along and had them just where he wanted them – eating out of his hand. The crowd went goo-goo over GaGa.

Arguably the best operatic rock song ever, Bohemian Rhapsody was hauntingly mesmerizing as midway through, video footage of Mercury from his 80’s Wembley Stadium show appeared, and Adam now traded verses with the cinematic Freddie. During The Show Must Go On, you could not help but feel everyone on stage – original members and Adam – wanting to honor Freddie’s legacy by continuing to perform for the band’s fans.

The only yawn of the night was during Brian May’s guitar solo which, while brilliant, went on a bit long at 10-15 minutes. But no matter – this over-the-top awesome show ended with encores of two of Queen’s most popular songs We Will Rock You and We are the Champions. Those lucky enough to see the show were blessed with a performance as magical as the stars, as cool as a VIP ticket, and a walk down memory lane. Queen and members were champions this night and they rocked us to oblivion.

But ultimately, the concert was about Adam, who proved this Idol runner-up is here to stay whether it be fronting Queen or resuming his solo career. (Lambert joins Jennifer Hudson in Idol non-winners who have gone on to successful artistic and lucrative careers.)

Queen and Adam Lambert appear again on July 23rd at Izod Center in New Jersey. Don’t miss it.

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN" BOUT, MR. NY REVIEWER. Obviously...he went to the show and stayed for the whole performance.
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 19th 2014, 5:22 PM'

ADAM LAMBERT @adamlambert
http://m.vh1.com/music/tuner/20…

REVIEW: CAN ADAM LAMBERT-LED QUEEN KEEP THE BAND’S CLASSIC LEGACY ALIVE?
July 19, 2014Jordan Runtagh
VH-1 MUSIC

It can’t be easy being Adam Lambert these days. Sure, he’s living everyone’s rock ‘n’ roll fantasy by fronting the rock icons in Queen on a cross-country arena tour. On the surface his life seems to rule in a major way, but I began to think again as I approached Madison Square Garden Thursday night. I had expected to see a mixed crowd of young Glamberts who have followed Adam’s art and antics since his American Idol days, as well as classic rock fans thrilled to hear the vintage songs played live once more. But the well-worn Queen t-shirts were plentiful and the Lambert love appeared few and far between as I took my seat.

He is about to play to a packed crowd of 20,000 people (New Yorkers, no less!), who all seemed to be thinking the same thing: “Can the kid pull it off?” Under pressure, indeed.
Ordinarily, the terror of playing a massive venue is (slightly) offset by the knowledge that everyone in the room loves you -or at least likes you enough to shell out some cash and make the journey to midtown. But Lambert is stepping into the massive platform shoes of dearly-departed Queen vocal monarch Freddie Mercury: lover of life, singer of songs, and one of the greatest performers in music history. Mercury redefined the role of the rock frontman, and the songs he wrote and sang are among the most beloved in the genre’s cannon. Two decades later, fans still mourn his tragic death from AIDS complications in 1991. Nothing against Lambert, but this could get dangerous.

It was a gutsy undertaking, but he certainly showed no signs of nerves as he strutted onto the stage with a feline prowl that owed more to Jim Morrison, and a leather-studded wardrobe borrowed from Faith-era George Michael. But the voice? That was pure Freddie. The lyrics to show opener “Now I’m Here,” seemed to take on new meaning, serving as a defiant response to any skepticism. He not only hits the operatic notes, which we must remember is no easy feat, but he accomplishes it with a mix of ferocity and glam elegance that do the song justice. You can almost hear a collective sigh of relief from the crowd as Lambert lets out the song’s final octave-straddling scream. This is gonna be alright.

But it’s far from a million-dollar karaoke starring Adam Lambert. Six-string virtuoso Brian May took his rightful place at the front of the stage, shredding on the homemade “Red Special” guitar that has been his secret weapon throughout the band’s career. His magnificent mane has turned white with age but is otherwise still intact, transforming his appearance into that of a rock wizard. He turns 67 today, yet his fingers are still as nimble as ever. Drummer Roger Taylor (65 years old next week) looks straight out of the country club in a dapper white shirt and slacks, but his robust frame attacks the skins with deliciously impolite fury.

This set marks the first time remaining Queen members have returned to the New York landmark since their two-night stay in July 1982. As a frame of reference, Adam would have been six months old at the time. Neil Fairclough replaces original bassist John Deacon following his retirement in 1997, and the personnel are rounded out with long-time keyboard player Spike Edney, and Taylor’s son Rufus Tiger on auxilary drums. A similar arrangement toured in 2004 with Free/Bad Company singer Paul Rodgers on the mic, but this is their first time around with Lambert.

The crew went full throttle into “Stone Cold Crazy” before they downshifted into the funky “Another One Bites The Dust,” sending Lambert preening across the stage like his own private catwalk. “Fat Bottomed Girls” thankfully resurrected the fantastic vocal blend between May and Taylor, so crucial to the band’s trademark harmonies. The elaborate Louis XIV chaise lounge wheeled out for”Killer Queen” was a bit contrived, but it was hard not to smile as Lambert reclined seductively and cooled himself with a lace fan, turning the tune into a Gilbert & Sullivan parlor show.

“When I feel lonely I just drink a lot and douse myself in rhinestones like any sensible gay,” he jokes after guzzling Champagne from the bottle and spitting bubbly onto the front row. “Perhaps I’m just waiting for…somebody to love.” Cue music. He addresses the audience with a self-aware, humble, and almost shy manner that Freddie would surely have dissapproved of. Despite this, it only endears him to the crowd. He is always respectful of the legends with whom he shares a stage, at one point literally bowing before Brian May has he tears off a solo. He is always reverent of the music, and always grateful to be in the spotlight.

He’s undeniably sweet and charming, not to mention hugely talented, but the effect leaves me with a sense of lacking. I want a large-and-in-charge powerhouse of a frontman, delightfully arrogant and full of gravitas. But of course, there would be cries of “How dare he!? Who does he think he is?” if Lambert attempted such shtick. It’s a tricky Catch-22 situation, and he made the very best of it by erring on the side of caution, humility, and sincerity.

Like it or not, the entire evening was haunted by the benevolent specter of Freddie Mercury. This was made clear midway through the show when Lambert vanished from the stage, leaving May center-stage to perform “Love Of My Love” on an acoustic 12-string guitar, as he used to do with his old friend by his side. “Some of you will remember -and some of you were not even born yet- there was a man named Freddie Mercury,” he said simply, visibly moved to tears. “And he was extraordinary.” After trading verses with the crowd, the familiar image Freddie himself appeared on the screen to sing the last lines.

The musical eulogy continued with Roger Taylor taking the lead on “These Are The Days Of Our Lives,” a melancholy track he wrote for the final album before Mercury’s death. A montage of goofy ’70s-era home videos had a tender effect, making in clear that this was primarily a tribute show and that the Lambert-led outfit was in no way in competition with the Queen of yesteryear. As Adam himself told the crowd, “There can be only one Freddie Mercury.”

Respects having been paid, Lambert returned to the front lines for “Under Pressure,” with Roger Taylor offering an impressive approximation of David Bowie‘s vocal parts from behind the drum kit. From here on out, the band really hit their stride, striking back relentlessly with break-neck versions of favorites “Tie Your Mother Down,” “Radio Ga Ga,” “Crazy Little Thing Called Love,” and (appropriately enough) “The Show Must Go On.” But of course, the built-in highlight was the epic “Bohemian Rhapsody” finale, incorporating footage from the band’s groundbreaking music video and Freddie’s performance from the classic July 1986 show at Wembley Stadium.

The only possibly follow-up was the one-two punch encore “We Will Rock You” and “We Are The Champions.” In the end, it was a promise fulfilled. We were rocked, Queen is still the champion, and Lambert is a skilled voice to ensure that their music will remain live for a generation of fans. Obviously he is no Freddie Mercury, and that’s OK. The minute you stop looking for Freddie is the minute the fun really starts.

*And ofc...Thanks for loving him.......he was doing it PERFECTLY.*
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'madamimadam' date='Jul 19th 2014, 5:58 PM'

Soooooooooooooo.... I finally have a minute to write my 'review'...

In no particular order...

- The crowd was crazy in love with Adam... People may have sat when he was off stage, but the minute he was spotted coming back, the crowd would cheer and stand up!

- His twirling that girl in VIP during CLTCL was priceless and so sweet and so gentlemanly with the kiss on the hand at the end... GAHHHH! I bet you anything that she isn't going to wash that hand for a good long time!

- This was my fourth concert, and it was the FIRST time I truly appreciated the drum battle between Roger and Rufus... It was AWESOME!

- Adam and his voice took over the Garden and reverberated off the walls.... King of Wails is alive and well!

- When he sang the line "You brought me fame and fortune" during WATC, he winked and touched his crown! AWESOME!

- His "Hi, mom!" was a mixture of "Sorry I spit on you" mixed with a "Look, Ma! I'm at the Garden fronting Queen!!!!" So endearing!

- The sing along was a huge success! Everyone got into it! It was amazing watching him control that huge crowd!!!!

- The ONLY TIME I got ringing in my ears was when Brian asked the crowd what they thought about the new guy... That cheering was the most extraordinary thing! It was loud and sustained for a good long time. @thefilmqueen and I looked at each other and just mouthed WOW!!!! It was even more enthusiastic and louder than what the crowd did when Adam asked that they give it up for Freddie a few minutes later!!!!

- The disco ball effect can NOT be reproduced through a stream or HD/HQ videos! It has to be seen live... It is incredible... Truly magical!!!!

- I find it amazing that the 5 guys 'backing' Adam can produce the harmonies and sounds that enhance Adam's vocals. We all knew there would be no canned licks in the show, and they have proven the point again and again when Adam goes off 'script' to do his thing and they just follow him wherever he's going. The total sound of all 6 men beats out every synth/canned/recorded crap that passes for music during shows nowadays.

- I've said this before, but the pure joy, respect and fun being displayed on stage, is a thing of beauty! It puts a huge smile of crowd's face and it remains there throughout!!!!

- My only negative comments are 1) that for the first few songs, Brian's guitar was WAY too loud! We could barely hear Adam's voice above it and 2) although I am used to the Mickey Mouse voice effect that Adam's voice undergoes live, in this instance it was REALLY REALLY noticeable until he would 'bite' into a song and it would disappear... Get your shiiite together, Mr. Soundman! ;)

So all in all, the band, Brian, Roger and Adam presented a united front... They are so tight on that stage!!! They came, they saw, they UNITED and they conquered!!!!

Now as for my trip from hell... I need to take a breather before going into that!!!!

:roll:
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 19th 2014, 6:05 PM'

http://adamfans.net/2014/07/19/elmenybesza...ebb-arenajaban/

This is such a cute blog and show review with photos of some Hungarian girls who cam to America for the first time to see Adam play MSG. They belong to a Hungarian Fan Club and brought Adam some gifts...which Rob (his manager) graciously delivered to Adam and then gave the girls a message from Adam.

Use your google translate...a little sketchy in places, but you'll get it.
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 19th 2014, 6:20 PM'

Aww...Brian!

Pressparty @Pressparty
@AdamLambertBE BRIAN MAY on 'dream' Madison Square Garden gig: 'I've never heard so much love'. http://bit.ly/WhbCkH
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'madamimadam' date='Jul 19th 2014, 7:10 PM'

Often when I'm planning to drive on a long trip, I can't sleep the night before and I give up trying around 2/3 in the morning and just start driving and take catnaps along the way.

Well, Wednesday night, I actually slept 5 hours which is pretty good for me. I left at 9:00 a.m., expecting to get to NYC at 4:00, picking up my ticket from a hotel on 38th Street, then going over to the Garden, find parking and meet up with fellow fans...

I got to the outskirts of NYC at 4:00, as planned. However, the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel was a fricking parking lot! It took me two hours to get into Manhattan... all this for the small price of $13 to use the Tunnel! Really? $13? I've paid lots of tolls in my life, never $13... perhaps the number signifies the bad luck you have trying to get in there quickly!

I had not looked at a map before leaving since I have a very reliable GPS in my car... which unfortunately kept losing GPS signal in NYC! Thankfully, Manhattan is easy to navigate as it works with numbers for streets and avenues. Having figured out how to get to @thefilmqueen's hotel, I got to the street where I had to turn only to be told by a police officer to go straight... I shook my head no... She insisted on waving me straight on... The light changed to yellow... I motioned for her to come over... She did with a frown on her face... With my best distraught face, I explained I was from Montreal, was lost and had been told to turn down this VERY street in order to get to my destination... She gave me the well-known NYC shrug and waved me on to the right turn... Ha! Score one for Canada!!!!

To make a long story short... I know... Too late!... It took me 3 hours to get from the entrance of the Lincoln Tunnel to the Garden!!!! It turns out Obama was in town which created even more havoc than usual with the traffic!!!!

After the show, I wanted to get out of NYC, get to the first rest area to take a 'long nap' before continuing on to Montreal... All the best laid plans... It took me THREE FRIGGIN' HOURS again to get OUT of NYC through the dreaded Lincoln Tunnel! I finally pulled up in a rest area at 2:00 a.m. I pulled my pillow and my blanket around me and settled in for a good sleep. And sleep I did... for TWO HOURS! Wonderful! Now I could hit the road again and drive until I felt drowsy again... Only... my damned car wouldn't start!!!! Battery was DEAD! I must have hit something to turn on the lights while I slept and now at 4:00 a.m. in the middle of nowhere, I sat in a car that wouldn't start.

Not to be defeated, I figured I'd try inside to see if anyone had jumper cables. My first two attempts turned out to be truckers who do NOT have jumper cables (I would have thought differently but there you have it). Then I headed over to the only place opened at that hour... Burger King where two employees stood around: a youngish guy and an 80 year old man. I addressed the younger man, explaining my plights when the older guy piped in: "Oh! I have cables!". Just to make sure, I inquired if he had a car (you never know... precision can avoid messy situations! :) ). He proceeded to tell me that indeed he had a car, so did the younger guy and so did the manager!

Oh, good! I'm all set!!! The manager came out and I shook his hand to thank him and make sure the 80 year old guy did not get docked for this! The manager smiled and said that my situation was nothing compared to others he has encountered in the past. Good to know!

It took the 80 year old guy quite a long time to meet me at the door but given his age and his Southern drawl and the fact that he was saving my ass, I was on cloud nine!

I have a new car and when we opened the hood, the battery was nowhere to be seen. Everything was under this very clean-cut plastic covering... so I told my savior that I would find out where the battery was from the manual... You need to know that said manual is the size of War and Peace... I don't care if there is an index or not... But my hero was quicker than I and located the said battery. He attached the two clamps to mine and then moved to his own car where he attached one clamp and seemed unable to locate where the second clamp should go... I mean we've got 3 out of 4 clamps going here... So close and yet so far!!!!

So he tells me he can't figure it out and will go borrow his manager's car instead. He takes off all the clamps and seems about to put them in his car, but I am worried he is going to forget them in his and show up 'cableless' so I encourage him to leave me the cables... It's not like I'm going anywhere, right? He agrees and off he goes... and I wait... and wait.... and wait...... and wait.... He finally shows up in a different car with a woman in her 50's.

After all connections have been made, I'm instructed to try the car and lo and behold, she purrs to life and I'm free to go... almost....

I tried to give my hero some money, but he refused and told me he hopes somebody will do the same for him one day when he needs help... I give him a huge hug and a kiss on the cheek which has him all flustered... so sweet... He now has to gather the cables and put them away so in the meantime, I start talking to the lady and explain how I've been to Madison Square Garden to see a show... She asks me which one I tell her Queen (no reaction) and Adam Lambert (she squeals).... She loves Adam and now wants to chat me up on all his glorious assets... while I longingly look at my car purring next to me... I can talk Adam forever and with anyone, but this ONE time.... not so much!

After blessing their socks, children, family, friends and their souls, I am now free to go!!!!!

As I start driving, I realize I have about a quarter tank left and wonder if I can get away with gasing up my car without turning it off... I manage to drive for close to 2 hours and finally have to pull in for gas. There was a guy next to me at the station with a NASCAR maintenance truck, so I asked him if it was safe for me to turn off my car after getting a boost. He told me that the battery had recharged itself after 20 minutes or so... I am very relieved because by now (6:30 a.m.) I'm in dire need of another nap!!!!

Finally by 11:00, I'm well on my way home... But soon I see guys who work on the highways on the side of the road making signs to everyone to slow down... Strange... A bit further and there's a sign "Accident ahead"... Further still, I see some of those flares on the pavement... And then... we come to a total standstill... for two hours!!!!! It turns out there was a bus that got overturned into the ditch... There are dozens of ambulances, fire trucks, police cars... as I inch my way past the accident, I see that all the passengers are sitting in the grass and none seem hurt... perhaps the injured passengers were already taken away by ambulance... I've checked on line and couldn't find any report of it.

Anyways my 6-hour drive home took me 16 hours, but who's counting, right?

After my O'Hare Airport adventure, I felt I was about covered when it came to mishaps while trotting myself off to see Adam in concert... I guess I wasn't! :)

Moral of the story: I was never a fan of Burger King, but my good Samaritan may have convinced me to give them another try!!!!
For those of you who weren't around during Adam's first solo concert at Fantasy Springs in February 2010, you can read my O'Hare Airport experience here:

http://idolforums.com/index.php?showtopic=...77&st=2074#
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'adamazing' date='Jul 19th 2014, 8:18 PM'

I love your travel stories Marie - you write so well I almost feel like I'm experiencing them with you.

Also on the MSG stream - it was lovely to hear your voice. Since I got to Vegas too late to meet anyone, it was wonderful to get to know you a little better. <3 Also - much love for the stream. :hug:
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 19th 2014, 8:33 PM'

Lovely review from the NY Inquisiter

http://www.inquisitr.com/1362277/adam-lamb...-new-york-fans/

some excerpt..

latest stop was at New York City’s Madison Square Garden, where Lambert proved once again that he was born for this gig.

Questions of Adam Lambert’s ability to even come close to the late Freddie Mercury’s stage presence have been slowly and sufficiently put to rest as Lambert continues to nail it each and every night, while still bringing his own unique flare to the festivities. Reviews of the show have been generally positive for the ex-American Idol contestant,
but The New York Times found fault with the Madison Square Garden performance, even while praising it. The reviewer calls out Lambert as “whiny” and his patter “embarrassing. To be fair, the reviewer goes on to say that Queen, one of the biggest rock and roll bands of the 1970s and 80s, is simply a studio band with overdubbed vocals and guitar riffs, which immediately calls into question the reviewers credentials to judge a rock show.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1362277/adam-lamb...fSvYpi23Yv2s.99
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'madamimadam' date='Jul 20th 2014, 9:40 AM'

GakBird · 10h
Oh, REALLY!??!! That speaks volumes! @feraltwirler: Of course, in a cowardly move, the ONLY 2 truly bad 'reviews' of Q & AL concerts (@nytimes & @nypost) DID NOT ALLOW people to comment/refute

anon · 10h
THESE PICS ARE AWESOME FROM MSG http://instagram.com/p/qqGrsYSIXN/
AND MORE http://instagram.com/bbono2
REVIEWS:

Love it! They call out the jerk's review! :roll:

theinquisitr · 14h
Adam Lambert And Queen 'Kill' In Front Of New York Fans - http://inq.cm/1u3QPAa
terra_zephead · 8h
I’m probably 1 day late since I was traveling, but here’s the MSG audio http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1390396/qu...rk-ny-flac.aspx

Return to “2014 QAL North America/Asia/Australia/New Zealand Tour”