2015-04-30 The Ellen Show

hotouthere

Post by hotouthere »

crocked wrote:I love his look ... no eyeshadow. But do not get me wrong... I love also his look with eyeshadow. He can get away whatever his look. He is too gorgeous... The best for me was the rugged style.

Is there a torn in his outfit?

I thought he would style himself in dark clothes to perform GT... gunslinger style.
His pants were torn but his jacket was pieced together with torn pieces of fabric. Guess he was going with the white of a Ghost rather than the black of a gunslinger. Love how Adam always keeps us guessing and then surprising us. [yes.gif]
crocked

Post by crocked »

The problem with singing with a track is that he cannot improvise, change tempo or what. I find his performance subdued. But I still love the performance.

So I am clicking on youtube GT. I do wish that fans should put it on their playlist and not upload it as their own. It dilutes the number of views on the official video. I am talking about the official GT video and lyric video. The increase in number of views is not that fast enough. No wonder there is a need for promotion on radio, etc. I hope his appearance on Ellen helped a lot.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

crocked wrote:The problem with singing with a track is that he cannot improvise, change tempo or what. I find his performance subdued. But I still love the performance.

So I am clicking on youtube GT. I do wish that fans should put it on their playlist and not upload it as their own. It dilutes the number of views on the official video. I am talking about the official GT video and lyric video. The increase in number of views is not that fast enough. No wonder there is a need for promotion on radio, etc. I hope his appearance on Ellen helped a lot.
I'd imagine GT will always need to be performed with a backing track, as the house beat and whistle would be difficult to replicate live. (But I'd be happy to be proved wrong!)

As for being "subdued," I've always felt that about anything performed on Ellen. The set doesn't have a lot of atmosphere, and the sound tends to be dry and lacking in vibrancy. (And Ellen herself seems to be going through the motions half the time, and that includes her reaction to Adam's singing here.) But I wasn't disappointed by Adam's performance. Not at all! I would say it was (necessarily) just a tad restrained, rather than subdued, as you'd expect of a first-time performance of a song that has a lot riding on it. And he couldn't have improvised too much (even if it had been technically possible), as people need to be thoroughly familiar with the song first before an artist starts playing around with it.

Anyway, I'm sure Adam will have carefully noted what needs to be tweaked to lift it from an "A" to an "A+" next time [happy.gif]

As for YT views, I agree that those fans who upload the two official videos to their own channels are doing Adam a real disservice. (Don't these people think?!!) But I wouldn't be too dispirited by the number of views of GT on Adam's official channel. Just in the last 24 hours, for example, there have been 107,000 views of the music video---not bad! Total views should be up to a million in a few days, and meanwhile the lyrics video has had over 1,517,000 views. That's over 2.2 million views in total so far for the two vids. I realize that's small fry when compared with the efforts of Maroon 5 and other bubblegum artists, but considering that Adam's been out of current pop for so long, these are pretty impressive figures.
crocked

Post by crocked »

Thanks for the info Derek. You know, when I looked at the other artists, their views can be as high as 200M in a number of days that I wonder if youtube views can be tweaked or so as I read somewhere that the number of twitter followers can be also tweaked for a price. I do not know how the computer geeks do it.

That to play GT on repeat will not necessarily add views per repeat. I found that out when I tried to add more views of Adam's Come to me, Bend to me... my favorite. One must wait for a while and not forget to reload it to be considered added view. I wonder if this is true or not. But to be safe, I add on my playlist other tunes and once the playlist ended, I reload it.
rustycat

Post by rustycat »

vistadiva wrote:
Tiki wrote:Just putting this out here, but after watching the video a gazillion times, I am wondering if the whistling is not done by a person, but with a flute. [0062.gif] Had anyone heard yet who or what is doing the whistling. Dying to know. [smile.gif]
It was a guy (I think a friend of Adam's). It was all over twitter a few days ago...his name escapes me...maybe Bebeg remembers.

AND..finally..on T.

When Adam left RCA a huge "image re-make" of Adam began. If you remember, he stopped wearing makeup..no more eyeliner...grew Melvin...started "designer dressing" and doing interviews that showed him as more low-key. YES, he was still Adam..but a much more sophisticated Adam. Allowing his masculine side to completely override his feminine side.

IMHO, all of this was a plan for his career, hatched and guided by DMG and WBR. As part of this "remake" and Era 3 rollout, his live performances had to showcase him as a solo artist...smooth and sophisticated. The "gay guy from Idol" had to vanish. Part of that was a new backing band.

So, IMO, kudos to DMG & WBR...they have done a stellar job!!

while I agree WBR is doing a stellar job, I don't think there has been a total re-imagining of Adam this era..Adam had already turned to a more designer look Trespassing era, the heavy makeup and jet black hair was gone (mostly-- the eyeliner reappeared occasionally in China)...this all happened years ago...he did facial hair from time to time during trespassing era as well...I do, think, however, that it is taking him a long long time to overcome the FYE era look that lots of people still associate him with -- even tho that look has been gone for 3-4 years...as for the band? There are lots of reasons why Adam and his team may have wanted a change
rustycat

Post by rustycat »

crocked wrote:The problem with singing with a track is that he cannot improvise, change tempo or what. I find his performance subdued. But I still love the performance.

the performance needs dancers...that is all imo...his singing was good and will only get better, the band/backing track was fine...but if you are going to have a wordless chorus you gotta have dancers to fill the void...I was really surprised he didn't have at least 2 dancers with him for the performance..this is a song that screams for dancers in live performances....he's used dancers on Ellen before...hope that dancers get added to future live performances...adam is a pop star, pop stars have dancers
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

rustycat wrote:
the performance needs dancers...that is all imo...his singing was good and will only get better, the band/backing track was fine...but if you are going to have a wordless chorus you gotta have dancers to fill the void...I was really surprised he didn't have at least 2 dancers with him for the performance..this is a song that screams for dancers in live performances....he's used dancers on Ellen before...hope that dancers get added to future live performances...adam is a pop star, pop stars have dancers
Just for fun I counted how many times you managed to put 'dancers' in that reply... 7, is the answer!

Just teasing!

[banana.gif] [banana.gif] [banana.gif] [banana.gif] [banana.gif] [banana.gif] [banana.gif]
"It is what it is!"
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

"It is what it is!"
Carmi

Post by Carmi »

vistadiva wrote:
Tiki wrote:Just putting this out here, but after watching the video a gazillion times, I am wondering if the whistling is not done by a person, but with a flute. [0062.gif] Had anyone heard yet who or what is doing the whistling. Dying to know. [smile.gif]
It was a guy (I think a friend of Adam's). It was all over twitter a few days ago...his name escapes me...maybe Bebeg remembers.

AND..finally..on T.

When Adam left RCA a huge "image re-make" of Adam began. If you remember, he stopped wearing makeup..no more eyeliner...grew Melvin...started "designer dressing" and doing interviews that showed him as more low-key. YES, he was still Adam..but a much more sophisticated Adam. Allowing his masculine side to completely override his feminine side.

IMHO, all of this was a plan for his career, hatched and guided by DMG and WBR. As part of this "remake" and Era 3 rollout, his live performances had to showcase him as a solo artist...smooth and sophisticated. The "gay guy from Idol" had to vanish. Part of that was a new backing band.

Wait..."the gay guy from Idol had to vanish" What are you saying here? As if being gay is bad or something that the public can't handle? Elton, Sam Smith, Mary Lambert et al haven't tried through their label and managements to make their "gay" vanish.

Is it really your opinion that WBR and DMG was the reason that Tommy was not hired for Adam's promo band? That Tommy made Adam look too gay? Not being snarky at all. Please help me understand your comments.

During the Trespassing era, when he was still with RCA, Adam was already wearing sleek designer clothes. And had toned done his make up. He still wore make up at that time, which I personally love, but the glitter and rhinestones were gone. I believe him when he said all that stuff was a lot of work to do everyday. I also believe he was evolving during Trespassing era. Just wondering why you think he changed make up and clothing style after he was signed by WBR. He obviously didn't if you were paying attention. Just sayin

I know many here are very sensitive about anyone commenting on their posts. I AM NOT being argumentative. Just trying to have a respectful conversation and dialogue. I can't be the only one that found the "the gay from Idol had to vanish" a little off putting. The comment, to me, was making him less than again. As if he could EVER make his gay vanish. And why would he or we ever want that to happen. Or even percieve that it could happen. I support and respect him just the way he is and how the universe created him.

edited for typos
misswood

Post by misswood »

I wish his hair hadn't have vanished [rip_1.gif]
hotouthere

Post by hotouthere »

Carmi wrote:
vistadiva wrote:

AND..finally..on T.

Wait..."the gay guy from Idol had to vanish" What are you saying here? As if being gay is bad or something that the public can't handle? Elton, Sam Smith, Mary Lambert et al haven't tried through their label and managements to make their "gay" vanish.

Is it really your opinion that WBR and DMG was the reason that Tommy was not hired for Adam's promo band? That Tommy made Adam look too gay? Not being snarky at all. Please help me understand your comments.

During the Trespassing era, when he was still with RCA, Adam was already wearing sleek designer clothes. And had toned done his make up. He still wore make up at that time, which I personally love, but the glitter and rhinestones were gone. I believe him when he said all that stuff was a lot of work to do everyday. I also believe he was evolving during Trespassing era. Just wondering why you think he changed make up and clothing style after he was signed by WBR. He obviously didn't if you were paying attention. Just sayin

I know many here are very sensitive about anyone commenting on their posts. I AM NOT being argumentative. Just trying to have a respectful conversation and dialogue. I can't be the only one that found the "the gay from Idol had to vanish" a little off putting. The comment, to me, was making him less than again. As if he could EVER make his gay vanish. And why would he or we ever want that to happen. Or even percieve that it could happen. I support and respect him just the way he is and how the universe created him.

edited for typos

I think what she is trying to say is that Adam and his record company and management are working hard to put "the gay guy" solidly into the background and let it be about the music where the conversation should be. I am sure you heard what Adam said about wanting it to be accepted and no longer a big deal in the eyes of the public and not focused on so much by the entertainment industry.
rustycat

Post by rustycat »

madamimadam wrote:
rustycat wrote:
Just for fun I counted how many times you managed to put 'dancers' in that reply... 7, is the answer!

Just teasing!

[banana.gif] [banana.gif] [banana.gif] [banana.gif] [banana.gif] [banana.gif] [banana.gif]
did I mention he needs dancers for the live performances?
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

rustycat wrote:
madamimadam wrote:
rustycat wrote:

Just teasing!

did I mention he needs dancers for the live performances?
Now, there's a novel idea!!!!! Well done!!!!

[0059.gif]
"It is what it is!"
svca

Post by svca »

Heh, I think Vista would be the LAST person on the planet to want to shove Adam back into the closet, IMO.

I think it's hard to argue that his image has changed...whether that was all Adam's decision or his label's, or a bit of both, only they know. But I do know, his image at the moment is a whole lot less "threatening", for want of a better word, than the FYE era was. I have his current calendar up at work, and I hear those comments all the time....how much better he looks without all the makeup. I don't necessarily agree, as I love both sides of Adam, but for people who are not exposed to gay people on a regular basis, they are better able to relate to this current look.

Me, I just love how he keeps changing things up....never boring, always unpredictable.

I love that [Love.png]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

I HAVE DELETED A BUNCH OF POSTS!!!!!

KEEP IT CIVIL, PEOPLE!!!!

ADDRESS THE POST, NOT THE POSTER!!!!!
"It is what it is!"
Love2Lurk

Post by Love2Lurk »

I don't think Adam's current team would ever suggest ....The gay guy disappear......

Adam would not stand for that ...IMO [nono.gif]

I just feel he has matured.....and....loves to change things up a little .....

We still see him from time to time in..... nail polish & makeup .......

and....sorry.....please no dancers [cry.gif]

maybe some back up singers......or more musicians that also sing with Adam.....

[0146.gif]
[i][color=indigo][b]It is what it is !!! It ain't that deep !!!![/b][/color][/i]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

I always thought that Adam coming out of AI and his first tour was Adam stomping his foot and saying I'll be who I'll be and people can take me or leave me... then he saw that people 'took' him and the toning down of his look started emerging at the end of GNT.

I remember Lee Cherry saying that Adam had been in charge of the whole concept of GNT and that Adam portrayed himself as 'he saw himself AT THE TIME'... I always found that comment quite insightful.

Adam can be petulant in his desire to prove a point and he did, mostly to himself, I think.

Once he saw that the acceptance did not waiver, he slowly left the 'mask' behind him.

I don't think that this was a WBR/DMG decision as I don't believe for a minute that Adam would stand for such a thing, no matter how much he wants success.

He's no longer the club kid that emerged from AI... he's a grown man secure in his manhood!

IMHO....
"It is what it is!"
Moonlightchiara

Post by Moonlightchiara »

After the Ellen Show, I got an email from someone I used to work with who told me she saw Adamon Ellen and he looked good, that he had a look she hadn't seen before, and that he looked more "normal". This was someone who would cringe whenever I brought his name up in the past. She couldn't get past the makeup, etc. I'm thinking that there are other people out there like that who might be more open to him now.

I just want to clarify that I personally will take him any which way he wants to present himself.
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

hotouthere wrote:
Carmi wrote:
vistadiva wrote:

AND..finally..on T.

edited for typos

I think what she is trying to say is that Adam and his record company and management are working hard to put "the gay guy" solidly into the background and let it be about the music where the conversation should be. I am sure you heard what Adam said about wanting it to be accepted and no longer a big deal in the eyes of the public and not focused on so much by the entertainment industry.

EXACTLY...and thank you for your excellent clarification!! Adam wants it to be about the music...my post was simply saying that the changes are putting the music front and center. Instead of discussing Adam's eyeliner, people not familiar with him are discussing his music. Adam (with or without the advice of his team...before, after or during TP) has pulled back some of the flamboyance...and IMHO that may be a good thing in trying to appeal to a broad mass audience.

When I used the phrase "the gay guy from Idol" I was referring to the image some people may have had of him...which may have hurt his record sales. I was not calling him that. I was simply discussing strategy in the light of the reality of Adam wanting the music to be front & center.

Anyone that knows me...and I've been a vocal, active fan on this board since Idol....knows that I adore Adam no matter how he chooses to present himself...and I would NEVER suggest he be anyone but who he is.

Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest without meaning too. It's probably a VERY good thing I didn't see the posts that Marie found necessary to delete.
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

svca wrote:Heh, I think Vista would be the LAST person on the planet to want to shove Adam back into the closet, IMO.
Thanks, BB....nice to know that someone knows me well enough to know where I was coming from. [hug.gif]

Return to “2015 E&A”