Adam's Vocal Abilities

madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Adam's Vocal Abilities

Post by madamimadam »

The title of this thread is self-explanatory. We are lucky to have two wonderful 'pros' giving us information on Adam's incredible voice!

Thank you Elsiebear and badassalterego!!!!

:flowers:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Elsiebear' date='Feb 10th 2015, 9:32 AM'

Thrilled for all of you that are going to the show that's Adams decided to do it.

I think we can expect a 'well guarded 'and lower placed vocal performance from him again tonight.

I am a trained professional singer myself (classical/Musical fields) and I found it very interesting listening to Adam at the last show he gave. He did everything to the letter that a vocal coach would teach you to do in these situations .We all know how dedicated he is to using his beautiful voice correctly.I could hear how deeply he was drawing on his musical training. I was very very impressed. So looking forward to catching a stream tonight.x Go Adam x <3  :sorcerer:
'madamimadam' date='Feb 10th 2015, 9:39 AM'

Oh! I love, LOVE, LUB your post! I crave hearing stuff like this.

I have had bronchitis, and usually, the antibiotics kick in after 48 hours and you physically feel like your old self again, but your lungs have not healed yet. I can't sing a note on key for the life of me, so in my case... it's all "You're good to go!", but Adam has a precious instrument to protect.

So I think if they do the show tonight, Adam will not be doing his usual vocal gymnastics in order to prevent long-term damage... Am I right?
'Elsiebear' date='Feb 10th 2015, 10:23 AM'

I would imagine Adam will be treading softly tonight both vocally and physically ,after all he must be feeling very delicate still .All these winter viruses are very nasty ...they can really knock you off your feet can't they.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'madamimadam' date='Feb 10th 2015, 10:31 AM'

Can you expand on the things Adam did?

I did notice that he had the audience singing A LOT! :)

That he didn't do the crazy vocal gymnastics...

But I'd like to hear it from a professional point of view...
'Love2Lurk' date='Feb 10th 2015, 10:36 AM'

Love seeing ^^^^^^^^this !!

I was thinking....He will be very careful for awhile.....

Adam does have his own music promo ahead of him....so he will take care....I am sure  :thumbsup:  :wub:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Elsiebear' date='Feb 10th 2015, 11:26 AM'

Adam has fantastic technique ...2 things that are most visual are ...
he doesn't screw his face into a distorted mess to reach notes like many singers in fact he doesn't have to open his mouth much at all, most of the facial movements he does make are pure theatre ,this is because although some of his range seams off the scale crazy high it is all well within his 'safe' zone ...any higher and only cats and dogs would be able to hear it !!LOL

Also the 'Long tongue' thing he does when going for a very high note. That is something they teach in classical training... by extending and flattening the tongue it helps keep the larynx low in the throat with is very important for healthy singing

Adam is very slim so its hard to see clearly.But his breath control is excellent ,all the breathing in singing happens very low almost in the stomach which is why he is so good at holding those really long notes in SBTL etc .

Singing technic is a very big subject. Very interesting too. But believe me for all the training Adams has experienced through his theatre days etc no one could ever teach a person to have a voice like that .you can only improve and refine what's there to begin with. Adams voice is purely a gift .Thank goodness for us that the chose to nurture and share his gift with the world ...its a much brighter place for him doing so.xxx
'Love2Lurk' date='Feb 10th 2015, 11:34 AM'

So glad you said this ^^^^^^last part  :thumbsup:

I think there are some that feel his talent is learned .... Not a natural gift ....

I feel .... As you have stated .... His training has taught him how to protect his natural gift  :thumbsup:

Thanks for your post  :thumbsup:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'madamimadam' date='Feb 10th 2015, 11:50 AM'

I remember Adam's first voice teacher saying that Adam wanted to 'understand' how he made the sounds and how to sing those high notes... She wanted him to just sing, but he wanted to analyze the nuts and bolts of it.

He said he kept at it until he could start getting those high notes.

I know that every singer has their own tone, but is it possible for someone with a bit of talent to actually practice hitting those crazy high notes until they get them or is it something you have to be born with?
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Janika' date='Feb 10th 2015, 12:04 PM'

Thank you for starting this thread. I know nothing about technical side of singing but can see/hear Adam's ability.

During AI there was poster who analyzed Adam's (and others) performances after every show from purely techinal point. Does anyone remember where she/He posted?

Can someone bring this video here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6uq95s1lY
[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'BHS9697' date='Feb 10th 2015, 12:10 PM'

I lovelovelovelovelove this thread!  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I know that every singer has their own tone, but is it possible for someone with a bit of talent to actually practice hitting those crazy high notes until they get them or is it something you have to be born with?
I'm not a trained singer but follow the local classical music scene and there are some mezzosopranos (middle female register) and baritones (middle male register) that have trained themselves to be sopranos and tenors.

Sometimes it's really difficult to 'label' singers because a mezzosoprano doesn't really sing that much lower than a soprano, instead it's more a question of the timbre of the voices. Some are lighter, some are darker. And especially difficult in my opinion is to try to label non-classical singers by the classical labels because the vocal techniques are somewhat different.

But, this is just a music lover's non-professional opinion  :Smile:

I've asked Shoshanna that someone would do an interview with Adam about his vocal technique and training since it's pretty common to discuss them in the classical scene and Shosh just replied that there's a time for everything. Argh :laugh:  

What do you think, Elsiebear, does Adam use the Complete Vocal Technique or is it something else?  :flowers:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Kimberly_Caldwell_4_Life' date='Feb 10th 2015, 12:14 PM'

I took voice lessons for many years as well. I have a grade 8 in Classical Vocal with the Royal Conservatory of Music, and I remember my vocal teacher saying that he really couldn't classify me as an alto or soprano, because I could hit both ends of the scale. He told my dad that he'd never met anyone with a range like me. I haven't sang classically in years, though, and I bet if I tried now, my range would be significantly smaller, because I haven't trained in a very long time.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

I remember Adam's first voice teacher saying that Adam wanted to 'understand' how he made the sounds and how to sing those high notes... She wanted him to just sing, but he wanted to analyze the nuts and bolts of it.

He said he kept at it until he could start getting those high notes.

'Elsiebear' date='Feb 10th 2015, 12:15 PM'

A little bit of both I think.

Every voice has a natural limit to it but with the right training you can extended your range quite a bit. The voice is simply a muscle and its response is exactly the same as any muscle .Vocal chords  can learn to do much more but they needs very gentle stretching and a lot of exercise  and correct use on a daily basis to grow in strength and reliability.
Adam would always have had a beautiful and naturally high voice even if he'd never had a single lesson but because he understands his voice and its safe zones  he is able to do so much more with it and this will never stop .Sadly some people just can not sing in tune and nothing will really change that significantly ! :fear:

Believe it or not what we are hearing now is NOT the best of Adams voice yet !it will only grow and mature in tone and strength ...Listening to the very early collaborations with Queen compared to now there's a vast difference because his confidence in the songs is so strong now. These are very hard songs on a voice but he seems so comfortable in them now.x :)
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'madamimadam' date='Feb 10th 2015, 12:20 PM'

Pffffttt!!! Tell me about it! My car and shower have lodged a class action suit against my singing on ground of 'cruel and unusual punishment'!

It's the strangest thing because I have a great 'ear'... Whether at a symphony or listening to singers, one off note and I hear it... but when I sing, I sound fine to my own ears but KNOW there isn't ONE note on key! :lmfao:

Adam also said once that he picks different 'colors' for his voice depending on what he's trying to convey... That intrigued me so much... It is such an 'artist*y' thing to say....
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Janika' date='Feb 10th 2015, 12:04 PM'

Thank you for starting this thread. I know nothing about technical side of singing but can see/hear Adam's ability.

During AI there was poster who analyzed Adam's (and others) performances after every show from purely techinal point. Does anyone remember where she/He posted?

Can someone bring this video here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6uq95s1lY
'sealuv' date='Feb 10th 2015, 12:33 PM'

i believe it was 'drowsybrowser'...she was a great source......

this is so exciting!....thank you so much Elsiebear for posting.......i have really missed these type of discussions.....one thing all of us have noticed is how adam has extended his lower register this past year....also if i remember correctly from a discussion way back when ...the peak years for a vocalist are mid 30's?
[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'madamimadam' date='Feb 10th 2015, 12:20 PM'

Pffffttt!!! Tell me about it! My car and shower have lodged a class action suit against my singing on ground of 'cruel and unusual punishment'!

It's the strangest thing because I have a great 'ear'... Whether at a symphony or listening to singers, one off note and I hear it... but when I sing, I sound fine to my own ears but KNOW there isn't ONE note on key! :lmfao:

Adam also said once that he picks different 'colors' for his voice depending on what he's trying to convey... That intrigued me so much... It is such an 'artist*y' thing to say....
'Janika' date='Feb 10th 2015, 1:42 PM'

:laugh: You sound me. I cringe when someone sings out of key but neither can I sing - I remember my school teacher saying during singin test "If you stop now I will pass you through".  My brother yelled me when I sang at home.

"different colors" - remember when Adam sang in AI Born to be wild? I am still amazed how metallic his sound is in that song!
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Elsiebear' date='Feb 10th 2015, 11:26 AM'

Adam has fantastic technique ...2 things that are most visual are ...
he doesn't screw his face into a distorted mess to reach notes like many singers in fact he doesn't have to open his mouth much at all, most of the facial movements he does make are pure theatre ,this is because although some of his range seams off the scale crazy high it is all well within his 'safe' zone ...any higher and only cats and dogs would be able to hear it !!LOL

Also the 'Long tongue' thing he does when going for a very high note. That is something they teach in classical training... by extending and flattening the tongue it helps keep the larynx low in the throat with is very important for healthy singing

Adam is very slim so its hard to see clearly.But his breath control is excellent ,all the breathing in singing happens very low almost in the stomach which is why he is so good at holding those really long notes in SBTL etc .

Singing technic is a very big subject. Very interesting too. But believe me for all the training Adams has experienced through his theatre days etc no one could ever teach a person to have a voice like that .you can only improve and refine what's there to begin with. Adams voice is purely a gift .Thank goodness for us that the chose to nurture and share his gift with the world ...its a much brighter place for him doing so.xxx
'crocked' date='Feb 10th 2015, 6:48 PM'

Phillip Phillips screwed his face a lot when he was a contestant in AI.  But his charisma, box-next-door type and interpretation of the songs earn several stars for him.  But imo, what clinched is that he was tailor made for the song 'HOME' which they knew would be multiplatinum with the right promotion.

And Adam considers phasing also very important in the song. It has a lot to do how the song turns out.  

Some people do not like his vibrato which according to them he did very often in his songs.

In an interview with Peter Freestone, he said Freddie ... a naturally baritone,  trained himself to hit those high notes, that he cannot be classified as tenor nor baritone, but all a class in itself.  I do not know if I interepreted that interview right.  Although AL is trained, but after that comes the art.

And imho, Adam has not demonstrated yet his highest note.  And if I interpret him right, it is irrelevant to what he is undertaking.  Best selling songs do not need high notes.  Now, I learn from you that those notes cannot be heard by human ear.  But can he do it?
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Elsiebear' date='Feb 10th 2015, 7:03 PM'

Wow thanks everyone for posting...I'm so pleased that you all want to talk about this stuff. I didn't want to come over as being a bit nerdy !.I just love analysing the way a voice works and all the 'behind the scenes ' subjects like this. :Smile:  

I started a similar thread many years ago when I first discovered ' k.d.lang '. As with Adam she too has the most amazing pure talent and I adore her. On her forum we had many a lovely discussion about her voice and techniques  and I ended up making some lovely new friends because of it. <3

I haven't read or seen anything about tonight's show yet ....I'm saving it all up for a good catch up later over a nice glass of wine !  :king:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'marlock276' date='Feb 11th 2015, 12:17 AM'

Really enjoying this thread!
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'sealuv' date='Feb 11th 2015, 12:29 AM'

since we have this thread now ...will bring in this comment from the Milan audio stream.........

mindsouletc :
"There's not been many high notes and ones which have been are more head voice, he's not really using breath for them. The longer vibrato notes are from the throat which is fine so long as he's regularly ~lubricating it. He's singing very intelligently."
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'MonicaJM2001' date='Feb 11th 2015, 1:49 AM'

This is such an interesting thread, great reading for sure! Unfortunately I have no contributions I can make to explain Adam's out of this planet vocal ability but do enjoy the comments from people who are familiar with the technical aspect of singing.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'3ku1' date='Feb 11th 2015, 4:05 AM'

Adams voice is the mix of natural talent, hard work, and a chemical reaction gone wrong. :wink:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Love2Lurk' date='Feb 11th 2015, 9:32 AM'

Adding to our convo.....a couple of links with blogs/articles about Adam's vocals.....

Dated....however....still relevant to Adam's voice....thought they were interesting....

Adam Lambert Insures Voice For $48 Million?
 The Huffington Post    |  By  Treye Green  
Posted:  10/15/2012 4:18 pm EDT    Updated:  10/15/2012 4:18 pm EDT
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/a..._n_1967831.html

Producer Rob Cavallo Exclusively Discusses Adam Lambert Album on Reality Rocks  
SG Glamberts  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwfEI2idxQI

Singing AdviceRescuing Voices  By John Henny | Posted June 17, 2010
Stroud is a Los Angeles–based voice teacher who has been called to rescue many a tour or recording session. He has worked with such stars as Adam Lambert....
http://www.backstage.com/advice-for-actors...escuing-voices/

Adam Lambert vocal range .....with several videos
http://musical-elegy.tumblr.com/post/50596...ert-vocal-range

Professor Adam Lambert’s seminar on vocal technique
January 20, 2012
https://onthemeaningofadamlambert.wordpress...ocal-technique/
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'madamimadam' date='Feb 11th 2015, 12:25 PM'

My HUGE contribution to this thread... [0002.gif]