Adam's Vocal Abilities

madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

(BHS9697 @ Feb 19th 2015, 2:06 PM) *

Yes, for a singer like Adam it's crucial to hear himself clearly through the earpiece so your theory is definitely a good one  yes.gif

Also, an unpopular opinion but I'll risk getting stones thrown at me: no matter how good a singer is, there will always be some moments of not quite hitting the right note. I've been at classical concerts, musicals, rock concerts - it's just how live music is. Peace original.gif
Not quite current anymore but Mariah Carey during her peak years comes to mind.
'badassalterego' date='Feb 19th 2015, 8:52 PM'

Absolutely - it doesn't matter how good you are, or how long you've been singing, you will do the odd bum note every now and then.  The main issue is if you don't realise you're doing them!!
(barb4Adam @ Feb 19th 2015, 7:27 PM) *

And just love what he does here, about :27 huggy.gif....
ADAM STORM shared René Aleesias Benninger's video.1 hr · Adam Lambert Who Wants To Live Forever Zurich! Absolutely Breathtaking!
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 3237105916
'badassalterego' date='Feb 19th 2015, 8:52 PM'

I'm going to have to watch this when I've got some decent speed on the web.  It sounded heartbreakingly beautiful on the audio stream earlier.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'madamimadam' date='Feb 19th 2015, 9:48 PM'

I know you're new in Adam's fandom, when you get a chance, you listen to this from 2004 - Brigadoon - Come to Me, Bend to Me!!!!
[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Elsiebear' date='Feb 20th 2015, 7:04 AM'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJYyqzUr6jU

How beautiful is this . I have found quite a lot of his really early things on you tube but I hadn't heard that. I just love his pure sound.
I totally love his rock / gravel voice ,and his queen collaboration is a dream come true it is wonderful to also hear it in its purest form too.

Adam could have gone on to make an amazing life for himself in many other areas of singing if he hadn't gone down this current rock route .The options would have been endless. With pure vocals like that he would have been a huge Broadway musical star . Think of all the roles he could turn his hand too with that voice .... I would LOVE to have heard his take on The Phantom of the Opera for instance . Wow.x
[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:48 AM'

Elsiebear, I've thought about Adam doing Phantom, as he could just kill it. Also Tony in West Side Story - can you imagine him singing Maria??

/faints
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Janika' date='Feb 20th 2015, 10:56 AM'

What is it that Adam does vocally here 3:01? It is like he sings two words at the same , is his own background vocalist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKnJutyYHWk

I had forgotten how beautiful Brigadoon is  :wub:

I think it would be interesting to hear how Adam opens his voice before performance- has anyone recorded it? I vaquely remember some interview during AI when some reporter wrote hearing Adam vocally warming up?
'BHS9697' date='Feb 20th 2015, 1:27 PM'

At 3:01 there's a mix of the band's back up vocals, Adam's mic echo and Adam quickly doing a one-octave jump at the word 'live' (who want's to lii-IIIIVE forever...) -if that makes any sense :haha: I'm sure the professional singers here can explain it a lot better.

And YES, please, let us hear even a little glimpse of Adam's vocal warm up routine :wub:
[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:48 AM'

Elsiebear, I've thought about Adam doing Phantom, as he could just kill it. Also Tony in West Side Story - can you imagine him singing Maria??

/faints
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Cait1602' date='Feb 20th 2015, 6:00 PM'

Thank you all for this amazing thread. It was so nice getting "behind the scence" a bit. I dont know anything about vocal abilites. Am more a  "lyric and interpretation" kind of girl, getting behind the song, how it is perfomed - not what it is used to get that performance (I hope that makes sense to anyone...)

Cant wait to read more about it!!!!
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Love2Lurk' date='Feb 20th 2015, 6:23 PM'

I feel ....Adam will be on Broadway one day......at the time he chooses......

I have always wished someone would write an...OTT....Rock Opera....just for him.....

It would be amazing  :thumbs:  :wub:

All tho....Tony in West Side Story.....would be wonderful too  :thumbs:  :wub:

And.....Welcome ....Cait1602  :wave:  :flowers:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Cait1602' date='Feb 20th 2015, 6:54 PM'

Thank you  :)  still digging my way through the Treasure Chest but heard of this thread and had to check it out!
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

(Love2Lurk @ Feb 20th 2015, 5:23 PM) *

I feel ....Adam will be on Broadway one day......at the time he chooses......

I have always wished someone would write an...OTT....Rock Opera....just for him.....

It would be amazing  thumbsup.gif  wub.gif
All tho....Tony in West Side Story.....would be wonderful too  thumbsup.gif  wub.gif
And.....Welcome ....Cait1602  bye1.gif  flowers.gif
'badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 7:52 PM'

Hi Cait  :flowers:

I'd love to hear Adam doing Broadway musicals - or even Andrew LLoyd Webber on Broadway!  And a rock opera for him would be incredible, as it would combine his singing and his acting.
(BHS9697 @ Feb 20th 2015, 12:27 PM) *

At 3:01 there's a mix of the band's back up vocals, Adam's mic echo and Adam quickly doing a one-octave jump at the word 'live' (who want's to lii-IIIIVE forever...) -if that makes any sense haha.gif I'm sure the professional singers here can explain it a lot better.

And YES, please, let us hear even a little glimpse of Adam's vocal warm up routine wub.gif
'badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 7:52 PM'

Yes, that does make sense - Adam's basically playing with the harmonies here.

It would be interesting to hear what sort of things he does to warm his voice up, as everyone has their own little routine of scales and peculiar noises that they make.  It's the same principle as the warm-up that an athlete does - you need to stretch the muscles in an ordered way to make sure that everything's working properly before you start putting pressure on your voice.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'graffeodl' date='Feb 20th 2015, 8:29 PM'

Talking about vocal warmups reminded me of this article with interviews of former theater cast mates.

http://famewatcher.com/adam-lamberts-broad...s-cheering.html
'madamimadam' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:00 PM'

Thanks for bringing that in! I read it way back when, but it's fun to read it with the knowledge of what he has already accomplished!

:flowers:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

name='badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:09 PM'

Have managed to get decent mobile broadband speed tonight and have listened to the Brigadoon song.  This isn't a musical I've heard - I know the storyline, but that's about all.

For a singer of 23, that was ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL.  Singers' voices take time to mature, particularly men, as of course they have to go through all the stuff with their voices breaking, whereas a woman's voice doesn't. For someone of the age he was then, the sound is astonishing!  It's controlled, even and beautifully blended throughout, and he sings with real sensivity.  He even manages to put a little bit of Scottish accent into the voice.  Also, the tuning is spot on - every note is bang in the middle, there isn't any obtrusive vibrato anywhere.

He's producing a proper tenor leggiero sound at this point;  this type of voice can do music theatre or certain types of opera (anyone who's into opera, this would probably cover the repertoire known as bel canto, by composers such as Rossini and Donizetti - the tenor roles are light and **very** high).

To be honest, I'm amazed he didn't get further in music theatre roles singing like that - I can only guess that either he didn't have the right contacts/agent, or maybe the music theatre market in the US is a bit too conservative for someone like Adam?  I don't know, I'm guessing here.  Not having the right contacts can make a massive different though - I know this to my own cost as I used to watch people getting roles because of the people they knew (or had slept with!!).

That song from Brigadoon is beautiful, beautiful singing - if anything, I'm even more surprised at his versatility than I was before.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:21 PM'

And I've just found something on YouTube called "Upright Cabaret".  Ded, just ded.  It shouldn't be legal to be able to sing like that.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'madamimadam' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:22 PM'

Brigadoon: Thanks! And the way he holds that note and goes on singing a few more WITHOUT taking a breath just floors me...

He also did great with this song in The Ten Commandments (actually the only one who got rave reviews, the show was considered 'crap')...

Is Anybody Listening (2007)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvwcJUhIa0U
[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'madamimadam' date='Feb 20th 2015, 10:03 PM'

Best I can do about vocal warm ups...

Diva's...

https://vimeo.com/55907941

Or in the blooper reel

Second show of GNT tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZwh3IU7jP0

Or CBS Early Show in May 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZGt2fM0zAs

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'donnamb' date='Feb 21st 2015, 12:07 AM'

Of course, I got lost watching the highlights from VH1 divas.

If memory serves, Adam likes to get his heart rate up by exercising.  Then there was a little interview with a vocal coach before the GNT tour.  Mentioned warming up to a few notes above the highest one Adam expected to hit in the concert.

Maybe some breathing exercises as well?
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'hotouthere' date='Feb 21st 2015, 12:13 AM'

We can't forget one of his most famous warm ups/sound checks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O568Sb6L1O4

[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'donnamb' date='Feb 21st 2015, 12:24 AM'

Ah - you reminded me.  Adam not only has to warm up his voice, but then also has to work with the sound people at each concert to make sure the acoustics work.  I assume then, from what we've seen, there's some down time for dinner/dressing.  He probably warms up his vocals again, and then gets into stretching the muscles out, and into performance mode right before the show.
Lots of work each concert day.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'svca' date='Feb 21st 2015, 12:36 AM'

My favorite warmup that was recorded by a fan was the one where his voice echoed inside that huge dome...I can't remember which song he was warming up with, but it was on one of the tours, it was overseas I think.  

Lol, I know that narrows it down, but I swear it sounded like the angels were singing.

Does anybody remember that?

God, I'm getting old, can't remember shit  :angry: .  I even had my son listen to it, it was so gorgeous.

:wacko:  :wacko:

This is going to bug me all night; hopefully I'll think of it before morning.  :(
'Glammed' date='Feb 21st 2015, 3:54 AM'
That was Who Wants to Live Forever I believe  :)

Wroclaw
'infinite' date='Feb 21st 2015, 4:18 AM'
[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

madamimadam:2212 wrote:
'badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:21 PM'

And I've just found something on YouTube called "Upright Cabaret".  Ded, just ded.  It shouldn't be legal to be able to sing like that.
'adamazing' date='Feb 21st 2015, 12:39 AM'

I love when people discover more about Adam -  and I'm loving this thread.

This early Art 4 Life performance is one of my favorites also.  Oh and the Zodiac show too. Enjoy!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zntiwD10pcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXvSA6QL7Ac...pcM&index=2
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “The Lesser Used Threads”