Poll: What's Your Choice for the Second Single?

What would be the most commercially successful follow-up single to "Ghost Town"?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:07 am

The Original High
66%
Another Lonely Night
7%
Underground
No votes
There I Said It
2%
Rumors
5%
Evil in the Night
15%
Things I Didn't Say
2%
The Light
No votes
Shame
No votes
These Boys
2%

Total votes: 41

3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

Sabine » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:08 am wrote:No matter which song will be the next single ( I am also assuming TOH) but Adam will need some serious promo, primarily TV, in the US.

ALN and the video was basically put out without any promo and the result was not overwhelming. But I am not sure how much energy WB will be putting into a third single.
Gt was this eras wwfm. So I guess Aln was solid. Its doing well on Bb Dance Club Charts. But they choose him to perform off shore. Why wasn't he performing on Us tv? Anyway. Im more camp Eitn. But Toh is good too.
rustycat

Post by rustycat »

Sabine » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:08 am wrote:No matter which song will be the next single ( I am also assuming TOH) but Adam will need some serious promo, primarily TV, in the US.

ALN and the video was basically put out without any promo and the result was not overwhelming. But I am not sure how much energy WB will be putting into a third single.
This is true -- it really doesn't matter what the single is unless the label puts muscle behind it. That being said, ALN was a dud even in markets where GT was a huge hit, Adam performed it on TV and there was good promo. I thought it was a terrible choice as a follow up single for GT and I take absolutely no pleasure in being right about that. But ALN didn't connect anywhere on the globe really -- and that wasn't a function of lack of promo. Warner clearly tried to push it at radio in the USA, as evidenced by a critical mass of radio adds, a big number of holiday concerts etc. A TV performance without substantial radio play would not have reversed the fortunes of the song (tv performances didn't do much for it in the uk or oz for example). It was just a kinda bland song that didn't connect. The video has poor numbers, it did nothing on iTunes and not much streaming-wise. It happens. Moving on. TOH is one of my favorite Adam songs ever. Is it a good single choice? No clue. It doesn't seem to be doing much in Oz or NZ. EITN is one of my favorite songs of his as well and has one of the best hooks of any song of his ever. Is it a good single choice? no clue. Will Warner put muscle and energy behind a third single, or will this just be a "touring single". No clue. Adam doesn't appear to be available for any of the Spring radio shows (most happen in May and June) as he will be overseas.
Carmi

Post by Carmi »

rustycat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:44 am wrote:

This is true -- it really doesn't matter what the single is unless the label puts muscle behind it. That being said, ALN was a dud even in markets where GT was a huge hit, Adam performed it on TV and there was good promo. I thought it was a terrible choice as a follow up single for GT and I take absolutely no pleasure in being right about that. But ALN didn't connect anywhere on the globe really -- and that wasn't a function of lack of promo. Warner clearly tried to push it at radio in the USA, as evidenced by a critical mass of radio adds, a big number of holiday concerts etc. A TV performance without substantial radio play would not have reversed the fortunes of the song (tv performances didn't do much for it in the uk or oz for example). It was just a kinda bland song that didn't connect. The video has poor numbers, it did nothing on iTunes and not much streaming-wise. It happens. Moving on. TOH is one of my favorite Adam songs ever. Is it a good single choice? No clue. It doesn't seem to be doing much in Oz or NZ. EITN is one of my favorite songs of his as well and has one of the best hooks of any song of his ever. Is it a good single choice? no clue. Will Warner put muscle and energy behind a third single, or will this just be a "touring single". No clue. Adam doesn't appear to be available for any of the Spring radio shows (most happen in May and June) as he will be overseas.

Purely speculating here...why do we suppose they picked ALN as the next single? Surely they had a reason to do that. I just can't imagine what it was. ::whut:: TOH would have been so much better imo. The referencing of summer in the lyrics would have imo been a stronger song to release in the fall. I'm worried that this era is over. Adam has said that when he is done with touring in July, he will be doing something new. It's frustrating to me that his albums always have such strong radio friendly hits that don't quite make it. ::livid::
rustycat

Post by rustycat »

Carmi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:07 am wrote:
rustycat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:44 am wrote:

Purely speculating here...why do we suppose they picked ALN as the next single? Surely they had a reason to do that. I just can't imagine what it was. ::whut:: TOH would have been so much better imo. The referencing of summer in the lyrics would have imo been a stronger song to release in the fall. I'm worried that this era is over. Adam has said that when he is done with touring in July, he will be doing something new. It's frustrating to me that his albums always have such strong radio friendly hits that don't quite make it. ::livid::
pure speculation as well but I'd guess they chose ALN because 1) their deal with max required X number of singles to be written and produced by Max, 2) it had the second highest streams after GT and 3) they thought it would appeal to those pop/hac stations that weren't wholly onboard with an oddball song like GT...but mostly due to 1 and 2. Adam mentioned in lots of interviews that ALN was the song that really resonated with a lot of his friends lyrically and that's one of the reasons it was chosen, but if the label is picking singles based on what resonates with Adam's far from mainstream group of 20-30 something LA/NYC avant garde artist type friends someone should be fired..not a good sample group

The era will be over when he is done touring and when the 3rd single runs its course. Some markets might even get a 4th single, depending on how the 3rd does. But most successful album campaigns last 12-18 months at most and span 2-3 singles. It is the very rare album that spawns more than 2-3 singles and lasts longer. those albums tend to be blockbusters. So even if ALN had been a huge hit the era would have wound down this summer (and had the demi tour happened it would have only extended it through the summer). FYE was a successful album and its campaign was about 12-14 months
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

Toh is getting solid airplay over here. But yeah no songs from this era resonated over here. I would go eitn third single. As its airplay on nfl ads. May be over. Have to wait till next album. He apparently has a multi album deal with Wb. So we know Adam is a big picture artist. Multi Platinum selling arena artist. He well get that big hit I feel. Like Gt. But bigger. I still think Adams best work is a head of him.
Moved from The Lesser Used Threads to 2015 Adam Music on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:41 pm by madamimadam

Return to “2015 Adam Music”