Poll: What's Your Choice for the Second Single?

What would be the most commercially successful follow-up single to "Ghost Town"?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:07 am

The Original High
66%
Another Lonely Night
7%
Underground
No votes
There I Said It
2%
Rumors
5%
Evil in the Night
15%
Things I Didn't Say
2%
The Light
No votes
Shame
No votes
These Boys
2%

Total votes: 41

MsDorenaS

Post by MsDorenaS »

I chose The Original High. I think that has a lot of commercial appeal. Who isn't addicted to something that gets them high? I love the fact that it was written by Adam & used to promo the project. Plus Adam talks about it all the time so I think it's a personal favorite. Another Lonely Night would be my second choice. Rumors or Evil in the Night would be 3rd/4th. I love The Light & Heavy Fire but don't think they are commercial enough. Not a fan of These Boys - it's my least favorite. I keep trying to but it just annoys me. My favorite bonus song is After Hours - love the vibe. ::icecream:: :)
leothelion

Post by leothelion »

DerekMcG » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:07 am wrote:While I expect first single "Ghost Town" to be around for a good while yet (after all, it's only just entered the BB Hot 100!), I thought it would be fun to poll everyone on their choice for next single.

Please bear in mind when casting your vote that I'm not asking you to choose your favorite song on TOH; rather, I'm asking you to select the song you feel has the most commercial appeal.

Since only ten choices were allowed for this poll, I've included two of the bonus tracks---even though it's unlikely that either of these would ever be chosen by Warners*---and excluded "Lucy" (as I can't imagine a rock song being selected), along with my beloved but admittedly non-commercial "Heavy Fire."

Have fun, and don't forget to post your rationale (if you're so inclined ::smile:: ).

The poll will expire on July 15, 2015.

*That didn't stop Yahoo Music's Lyndsey Parker from including "These Boys" in her single picks.
Hi Derek! I voted for TOH because I think it has the highest chance of really reeling in new fans.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I chose EITN because of the fact that Adam seems to really like it, and it seems like that COULD be the next single, given the fact that he performs that song whenever he can. For example, tonight at the Logo Trailblazer Honors Awards. He did both Ghost Town & Evil In The Night. He also did it on GMA, even though that song wasn't televised. It makes me wonder if they're setting that song up to be the second single.
August 26, 2009. June 18, 2010. July 12, 2014. March 25, 2016. July 20, 2017.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

Paula » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:31 am wrote:I chose EITN because of the fact that Adam seems to really like it, and it seems like that COULD be the next single, given the fact that he performs that song whenever he can. For example, tonight at the Logo Trailblazer Honors Awards. He did both Ghost Town & Evil In The Night. He also did it on GMA, even though that song wasn't televised. It makes me wonder if they're setting that song up to be the second single.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. It has HIT written all over it. Kinda like Adeles Rolling in the Deep. Not that the songs are similar, but has that immediate hook. Either that or TOH, is is just as probable.
Raleighfan

Post by Raleighfan »

My vote goes to The Original High! It's an exhilarating, invigorating song. Like Marlock said, it's so perfect!
But as I said earlier......What Do I Know!!!!
Tiki, I don't see anything wrong with TISI being the next single. It is an awesome song! ::smile::
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

What great responses! I just love a poll---but, even more, I love to know why someone has made a particular choice. So keep those votes and rationales rolling in!

Just a few thoughts:

Adam's vocal is stunning on TISI, but I just don't see Radio embracing the song. Not US Radio, anyway, where (bizarrely) it seems---as Adora mentioned upthread---only ballads by UK singers are "acceptable." ::thinking:: But I can imagine TISI being very popular in Asia, where ballads are certainly appreciated (as we all know from the popularity of Time for Miracles).

Trying to be objective, though, I feel that TISI lacks that crucial hook needed for a smash hit.

Before I heard TOH, I was convinced that EITN should be the next single. But then TOH just blew me away in terms of its musical construction, its startling freshness & sonic quality, its perfect lyrics ("There's no comfort in comfort"---ha!!), and Adam's amazing vocal, which shows off just about everything in his arsenal from speak-singing (for want of a better term), falsetto, and that thrilling upper register. It also has a brilliant hook ("chasing the original high") that also serves to sell the album ::smile:: This song has the potential to replace WWFM as Adam's signature number, and the fact that he co-wrote it is the delicious icing on the cake.

I keep imagining the music video beginning with Adam driving the same car we saw him "arrive" in for the GMA performance last week ::haha:: (And speaking of cars, isn't it wonderful the way the music in this song conjures up steamy summer nights on a highway?!)

Another important consideration for me is the potential of the next single choice in live performance, since obviously Adam will be singing the song at every opportunity. (We all remember how difficult FYE was to perform!!) So far we've heard Adam sing TOH three times, and he hasn't disappointed---even with the pitch down a semitone at the GMA performance. In fact, the GMA version is my favourite so far, and we could see how well it connected with the audience. ::thumbsup::

The same is true of EITN, of course; in fact, I think that song works even better in performance than on record. (And I love the recording!) I didn't initially feel this, probably because I was so in love with Adam's phrasing on the recording (and those adorable lyrics), but I feel now that the song's structure is slightly repetitious. It's also one of the longer songs on the album. In performance, Adam gives it that extra level of excitement (as always), and it makes all the difference ::grin::

As for Another Lonely Night, I simply can't make up my mind whether this song is slightly too old-fashioned (in its chorus) to be a radio hit, or whether it strikes the perfect balance between retro and modern. All I know is that I'm more drawn (lyric-wise and musically) to its gorgeous, melancholic verses than its chorus, and I have a feeling that the song will always work better as a recording than as a live performance. (The opposite to EITN, in other words.) There's something sumptuous about the production of the recording that I think will always be difficult to capture in performance, and vocally it's a more challenging song than EITN.

Thoughts, anyone?
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

P.S. I love all three bonus songs, though I was initially taken aback by Shame and These Boys ::haha:: They're just so different in every respect from the songs on the album proper. But it only took me a couple of playings to fall in love with their sheer fun and naughtiness ::smile::

I'd be very happy with either Shame or These Boys as Single Number #5 ::tongue::
ladycaid

Post by ladycaid »

Lucy was my first pick. It is my favorite song on the CD.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

ladycaid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:13 pm wrote:Lucy was my first pick. It is my favorite song on the CD.
In that case, I'm sorry that I left it off the choices for the poll!

As I wrote in the OP, I just assumed "Lucy" was too rock-leaning to be a serious contender for single.

It's certainly been mentioned by quite a few reviewers as a highlight of the album, though---including one crusty fellow in the UK who thought it the only outstanding thing on the record ::hysterical:: (Everything else was "generic," he opined.)

In my case, I like "Lucy," but so far it's proved the track I return to least often on the album. And I'm not sure why that is. God knows I love most of Adam's rock excursions, so that can't be the reason. And I acknowledge the brilliance of Brian's contribution here.

Perhaps it's the fact that thematically it's quite different from the other songs. It's not about the singer either---it's about someone else---so perhaps it's that lack of intimacy that's stopped me from fully embracing it. But, honestly, I can't imagine US Pop Radio having a bar of this song.

Someone wrote on the Pop Justice forum that if Adam had emerged in the 1970s, he'd have been the world's biggest pop/rock vocalist. I believe that---just as I believe that "Lucy" would have smashed in the pre-bubblegum era of Pop Radio.
adamazing

Post by adamazing »

Paula » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:31 am wrote:I chose EITN because of the fact that Adam seems to really like it, and it seems like that COULD be the next single, given the fact that he performs that song whenever he can. For example, tonight at the Logo Trailblazer Honors Awards. He did both Ghost Town & Evil In The Night. He also did it on GMA, even though that song wasn't televised. It makes me wonder if they're setting that song up to be the second single.
I agree with everything you said Paula. I picked EITN but was called away from my desk (pesky work) before I could post my reasoning. I just LOVE his voice on this song. I think this could be very marketable and hopefully get him lots of radio play. ::thumbsup::
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a101/rlitzau/signature2.jpg[/img]
ladycaid

Post by ladycaid »

While Lucy is my favorite track on the album, i voted for Rumors because it was radio friendly and Tove Lo is hot right now. My third choice is The Original HIgh as it does play well live and it is catchy and I play it often.
Tiki
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Tiki »

Adam has Officially Released TOH to YouTube. ::grin::

Posting it here since the majority has voted for this song to be the 2nd single.

Wondering if this means it's not going to be released to Radio or is he is possibly checking out the response to the song. ::thinking::
Adora

Post by Adora »

Checking out the response.
Tiki
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Tiki »

Adora » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:23 pm wrote:Checking out the response.
So far TOH has 264,281 views. ::clap::
Lizziek

Post by Lizziek »

I love TOH. It's the perfect summer song and has smash hit written all over it. Love that he's been singing it live 'cause it's very catchy and will bring in sales. I do love Rumors as well. Love his lower register on this song. The whole album is fantastic..well worth the very loooong wait. (and walamart only had 1 copy of the non-deluxe cd left and no deluxe left today). ::woohoo::
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

Tiki » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:41 am wrote:Adam has Officially Released TOH to YouTube. ::grin::

Posting it here since the majority has voted for this song to be the 2nd single.

Wondering if this means it's not going to be released to Radio or is he is possibly checking out the response to the song. ::thinking::
It can only be to gauge response, I feel---after all, Adam's team also released EITN, Underground and ALN to YouTube, and I'm sure they wouldn't want to rule all of those out of contention as singles as well.

Only 32 dislikes on YouTube for TOH so far! That's encouraging ::smile::
Adora

Post by Adora »

You know, it was only in the past that singer and their management kept their music close to their chest so to speak and deleted youtube videos, etc, thinking that if it's there for free, people won't buy it. And it was a poor strategy and didn't work and now it's the opposite - they're trying to show the new songs as much as possible and this way there is more sales. Because the more people hear it - more people like it and buy it and then it becomes popular and that's the main goal.

In any case - Ghost Town was also officially released on the Youtube in two variations, and actually - 3 now; with lyrics, video and another video and it IS an official single. So I think the fact that some or other song is officially on Youtube is an indication that it's a candidate for a single! To make a single successful you need more people to hear it. So far we have, how many? 4 songs on Youtube? All of them could become singles one day.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

It's funny when a Rock reviewer says other then Lucy everything is generic. Coming from a reviewer who prob hates all pop, of course its generic. So is Rock ;). But yeah Lucy is too rock leaning, I like it but cannot imagine it ever having life on US Pop Radio, where would it fit? I am still surprised ALN has only 1 vote me lol, it is with TOH one of the most commercially best singles. EITN I duno that well ever be a radio single. But TOH seems likely to be the next one, its one of the best tracks on the album, and it is commercial and it well give him new fans. I am also an advocate for Things I diddn't say, can imagine that on US Pop radio. So I think TOH second single, then Rumours third. Seeing Tove Lo has a single coming out, if that is big. Then Rumours would be perfect timing. I also like Rumours as its current. I mean all pop artists, and celebs in general have to deal with Rumours about them, false reports e.t.c. So it could be very relatable in this social media age.
Tiki
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Tiki »

DerekMcG » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:53 pm wrote:
Tiki » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:41 am wrote:Adam has Officially Released TOH to YouTube. ::grin::

It can only be to gauge response, I feel---after all, Adam's team also released EITN, Underground and ALN to YouTube, and I'm sure they wouldn't want to rule all of those out of contention as singles as well.

Only 32 dislikes on YouTube for TOH so far! That's encouraging ::smile::
Thank you Derek. ::smile:: This really confused me especially, since people can rip music for free so easily today. I would think putting it up on YT like that wouldn't increase sales, and now the entire album has been uploaded by a fan. I find this really sad to see. No wonder artists have to resort to concerts in order to make money.
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

Now that there's rumors around EITN, I gave this more thought...while I prefer TOH, I think the what-will-be-perceived-as-drug-references may keep that one off as next. Too bad. A great song ::yessss:: ::yessss:: ::yessss::
I know, I know, sounds old fashioned. But pop can be, surprisingly, PC at times (unless you're Chris Brown).
Moved from The Lesser Used Threads to 2015 Adam Music on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:41 pm by madamimadam

Return to “2015 Adam Music”