Poll: What's Your Choice for the Second Single?

What would be the most commercially successful follow-up single to "Ghost Town"?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:07 am

The Original High
66%
Another Lonely Night
7%
Underground
No votes
There I Said It
2%
Rumors
5%
Evil in the Night
15%
Things I Didn't Say
2%
The Light
No votes
Shame
No votes
These Boys
2%

Total votes: 41

3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

It's funny when a Rock reviewer says other then Lucy everything is generic. Coming from a reviewer who prob hates all pop, of course its generic. So is Rock ;). But yeah Lucy is too rock leaning, I like it but cannot imagine it ever having life on US Pop Radio, where would it fit? I am still surprised ALN has only 1 vote me lol, it is with TOH one of the most commercially best singles. EITN I duno that well ever be a radio single. But TOH seems likely to be the next one, its one of the best tracks on the album, and it is commercial and it well give him new fans. I am also an advocate for Things I diddn't say, can imagine that on US Pop radio. So I think TOH second single, then Rumours third. Seeing Tove Lo has a single coming out, if that is big. Then Rumours would be perfect timing. I also like Rumours as its current. I mean all pop artists, and celebs in general have to deal with Rumours about them, false reports e.t.c. So it could be very relatable in this social media age.
Tiki
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Tiki »

DerekMcG » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:53 pm wrote:
Tiki » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:41 am wrote:Adam has Officially Released TOH to YouTube. ::grin::

Posting it here since the majority has voted for this song to be the 2nd single.

Wondering if this means it's not going to be released to Radio or is he is possibly checking out the response to the song. ::thinking::
It can only be to gauge response, I feel---after all, Adam's team also released EITN, Underground and ALN to YouTube, and I'm sure they wouldn't want to rule all of those out of contention as singles as well.

Only 32 dislikes on YouTube for TOH so far! That's encouraging ::smile::
Thank you Derek. ::smile:: This really confused me especially, since people can rip music for free so easily today. I would think putting it up on YT like that wouldn't increase sales, and now the entire album has been uploaded by a fan. I find this really sad to see. No wonder artists have to resort to concerts in order to make money.
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

Now that there's rumors around EITN, I gave this more thought...while I prefer TOH, I think the what-will-be-perceived-as-drug-references may keep that one off as next. Too bad. A great song ::yessss:: ::yessss:: ::yessss::
I know, I know, sounds old fashioned. But pop can be, surprisingly, PC at times (unless you're Chris Brown).
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

sandyrk » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:30 pm wrote:Now that there's rumors around EITN, I gave this more thought...while I prefer TOH, I think the what-will-be-perceived-as-drug-references may keep that one off as next. Too bad. A great song ::yessss:: ::yessss:: ::yessss::
I know, I know, sounds old fashioned. But pop can be, surprisingly, PC at times (unless you're Chris Brown).
Well considering most of hip hop is about sex and drugs. And how many songs have been about that subject matter in the past. Adam has explained TOH is about the high of life, and happiness haha. So I don't think people well think TOH is about drugs lol. I don't think EITN well ever be a single. I think it is pretty much certain TOH is the next single. Theirs no references of drugs in the song, so I think it well be fine. Some say Runnin is about drugs but anyway.
bebeg

Post by bebeg »

sandyrk » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:30 pm wrote:Now that there's rumors around EITN, I gave this more thought...while I prefer TOH, I think the what-will-be-perceived-as-drug-references may keep that one off as next. Too bad. A great song ::yessss:: ::yessss:: ::yessss::
Interesting, I've read others saying this but I don't think that the lyrics will be a problem at all. There are no direct drug references. It's all in the interpretation. It's funny, after hearing the title of the song and before actually hearing it, I didn't even think of drugs. I don't think of an 'original high' being a drug.

And as for radio being PC - I don't think that's true....Tove Lo's Habits, Ed Sheeran's The A Team, country singer Kacey Musgraves sings about rolling up a joint....
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

sandyrk » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:30 am wrote:Now that there's rumors around EITN, I gave this more thought...while I prefer TOH, I think the what-will-be-perceived-as-drug-references may keep that one off as next. Too bad. A great song ::yessss:: ::yessss:: ::yessss::
Hi: I haven't come across these rumors---have I missed something here?

I'll be surprised if EITN is the next single. That's not to say that it would never be a single, but my gut feeling is that they'd be much more likely to go with ALN before EITN. Or Rumors, for that matter.

But I'm still convinced that the next single will be TOH, and I don't think the lyrics will be a problem at all.
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

Believe me, I want to be VERY wrong about this, as I love TOH and want it next. But it seems that Adam has been held to a somewhat different standard than, say, Ri or Ed Sheeran. Weird but true. She can sing about anything. Someone rolling a joint isn't any big deal. First time I heard TOH I went "oh oh". Hope I'm wrong.

However, just watched the Logo.com EITN and it came across great! Has real potential IMHO. Interesting choice still.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

sandyrk » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:20 pm wrote:Believe me, I want to be VERY wrong about this, as I love TOH and want it next. But it seems that Adam has been held to a somewhat different standard than, say, Ri or Ed Sheeran. Weird but true. She can sing about anything. Someone rolling a joint isn't any big deal. First time I heard TOH I went "oh oh". Hope I'm wrong.

However, just watched the Logo.com EITN and it came across great! Has real potential IMHO. Interesting choice still.
But I don't think once in the song does any of the lyrics reference any thing about Drugs. It's just The Original High, but that is it. So I think it well be fine. I dont think Adam is helf to different standard lol, I just think that's a fans beleif, but doubt it. Some are saying EITN could be next single. But I still think its going to BE TOH or ALN. EITN could be a curve ball though, and a good one.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

I can't wait to see the complete LOGO Ghost Town and Evil in the Night! Unfortunately, I missed the live stream and neither performance is available at the LOGO site to those of us outside the US ::livid:: But I hear that both performances were amazing ::smile::

So, yes, if EITN does end up being the next single, Adam will certainly be able to make the most of it in live performances. The same is true, of course, of TOH. And I think that's a really important consideration when choosing a single: can it wow an audience when performed live?

That would be my main problem with ALN being the next single: it simply lacks the visceral thrill of TOH and EITN. That won't stop it from being a fan favourite in concerts, though ::smile::
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

DerekMcG » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:25 pm wrote:I can't wait to see the complete LOGO Ghost Town and Evil in the Night! Unfortunately, I missed the live stream and neither performance is available at the LOGO site to those of us outside the US ::livid:: But I hear that both performances were amazing ::smile::

So, yes, if EITN does end up being the next single, Adam will certainly be able to make the most of it in live performances. The same is true, of course, of TOH. And I think that's a really important consideration when choosing a single: can it wow an audience when performed live?

That would be my main problem with ALN being the next single: it simply lacks the visceral thrill of TOH and EITN. That won't stop it from being a fan favourite in concerts, though ::smile::
Their are links to watch EITN on Youtube, shoulden't post it here though. It should be in one of the other threads. I love ALN live, when he performed it first at IHR, it came off pretty well. IT reminds me of a Gaga song, who I am a big fan of. I think a Summer Dance Song is needed, no ballads. So TOH well get him new fans. EITN though is one of those songs that on first listin just feels like a hit, it has that immediate hook as does TOH. But currently the focus should be on GT, getting to at least Top 30ish on the BB Hot 100, that should be the focus. What ever the single is, I Think fans can trust Adam and his team to make the right call.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

3ku1 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:42 am wrote:
DerekMcG » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:25 pm wrote:I can't wait to see the complete LOGO Ghost Town and Evil in the Night! Unfortunately, I missed the live stream and neither performance is available at the LOGO site to those of us outside the US ::livid:: But I hear that both performances were amazing ::smile::

Their are links to watch EITN on Youtube, shoulden't post it here though. It should be in one of the other threads. I love ALN live, when he performed it first at IHR, it came off pretty well. IT reminds me of a Gaga song, who I am a big fan of. I think a Summer Dance Song is needed, no ballads. So TOH well get him new fans. EITN though is one of those songs that on first listin just feels like a hit, it has that immediate hook as does TOH. But currently the focus should be on GT, getting to at least Top 30ish on the BB Hot 100, that should be the focus. What ever the single is, I Think fans can trust Adam and his team to make the right call.
Oh, I agree that the focus should be on GT, but it's still fun to speculate over the next single in the privacy of our own forum ::smile:: Besides, there's not a lot more any of us here can do in boosting GT's sales; that's in the general public's hands now.
nica575

Post by nica575 »

DerekMcG » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:52 am wrote:What great responses! I just love a poll---but, even more, I love to know why someone has made a particular choice. So keep those votes and rationales rolling in!

Just a few thoughts:

Adam's vocal is stunning on TISI, but I just don't see Radio embracing the song. Not US Radio, anyway, where (bizarrely) it seems---as Adora mentioned upthread---only ballads by UK singers are "acceptable." ::thinking:: But I can imagine TISI being very popular in Asia, where ballads are certainly appreciated (as we all know from the popularity of Time for Miracles).

Trying to be objective, though, I feel that TISI lacks that crucial hook needed for a smash hit.

Before I heard TOH, I was convinced that EITN should be the next single. But then TOH just blew me away in terms of its musical construction, its startling freshness & sonic quality, its perfect lyrics ("There's no comfort in comfort"---ha!!), and Adam's amazing vocal, which shows off just about everything in his arsenal from speak-singing (for want of a better term), falsetto, and that thrilling upper register. It also has a brilliant hook ("chasing the original high") that also serves to sell the album ::smile:: This song has the potential to replace WWFM as Adam's signature number, and the fact that he co-wrote it is the delicious icing on the cake.

I keep imagining the music video beginning with Adam driving the same car we saw him "arrive" in for the GMA performance last week ::haha:: (And speaking of cars, isn't it wonderful the way the music in this song conjures up steamy summer nights on a highway?!)

Another important consideration for me is the potential of the next single choice in live performance, since obviously Adam will be singing the song at every opportunity. (We all remember how difficult FYE was to perform!!) So far we've heard Adam sing TOH three times, and he hasn't disappointed---even with the pitch down a semitone at the GMA performance. In fact, the GMA version is my favourite so far, and we could see how well it connected with the audience. ::thumbsup::

The same is true of EITN, of course; in fact, I think that song works even better in performance than on record. (And I love the recording!) I didn't initially feel this, probably because I was so in love with Adam's phrasing on the recording (and those adorable lyrics), but I feel now that the song's structure is slightly repetitious. It's also one of the longer songs on the album. In performance, Adam gives it that extra level of excitement (as always), and it makes all the difference ::grin::

As for Another Lonely Night, I simply can't make up my mind whether this song is slightly too old-fashioned (in its chorus) to be a radio hit, or whether it strikes the perfect balance between retro and modern. All I know is that I'm more drawn (lyric-wise and musically) to its gorgeous, melancholic verses than its chorus, and I have a feeling that the song will always work better as a recording than as a live performance. (The opposite to EITN, in other words.) There's something sumptuous about the production of the recording that I think will always be difficult to capture in performance, and vocally it's a more challenging song than EITN.

Thoughts, anyone?
I agree with every word in this post, Derek ::hello:: And especially the bolded part! I LOVE TOH to the point that I think it should've been the lead single - so perfect for the summer! (Don't worry, I stream GT 24x7 on Spotify and RDIO, so full "support" mode for GT ::yes:: )

EITN is my next favorite, and I hope it'll become a single one day, although I feel RUMORS will get to be a single at some point - may be #3? I realize it has radio appeal probably, although for me it is the the only "skipper" on the album (I am not a fan of Adam duetting with a generic sounding female voice).

Imo LUCY has no chance of becoming a single...It's an odd song for this album with it's rock leanings and should've been a bonus track - it just doesn't fit the overall album sound, the "subject matter" is weird and I can't see how it is connected to Adam. I LOVE Dr. Bri's solo, albeit it could be a bit longer.

So, in short: TOH FTW! ::thumbsup::
crocked

Post by crocked »

Between ALN and EITN, ALN is played more in spotify and youtube reflecting the choice the youtube viewers ->604664 vs 439557. Even in spotify it is 877831 vs 619704 in favor of ALN. Personally, I prefer EITN over ALN, but I think ALN would have more appeal because of the MOO. As for TOH, I watched Adam during the GMA, and I just wish he did more hip gyrations, more dance moves at the start until the end -- make it flirty if possible . These boys keep playing in my mind. TISI is my favorite.

Mind boggling. What the heck, I would vote for These Boys as best selling, but the producers I think would go for EITN or ToH as next single. ::winking:: ::winking:: ::winking::
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

nica575 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:14 pm wrote:
I agree with every word in this post, Derek ::hello:: And especially the bolded part! I LOVE TOH to the point that I think it should've been the lead single - so perfect for the summer! (Don't worry, I stream GT 24x7 on Spotify and RDIO, so full "support" mode for GT ::yes:: )

EITN is my next favorite, and I hope it'll become a single one day, although I feel RUMORS will get to be a single at some point - may be #3? I realize it has radio appeal probably, although for me it is the the only "skipper" on the album (I am not a fan of Adam duetting with a generic sounding female voice).

Imo LUCY has no chance of becoming a single...It's an odd song for this album with it's rock leanings and should've been a bonus track - it just doesn't fit the overall album sound, the "subject matter" is weird and I can't see how it is connected to Adam. I LOVE Dr. Bri's solo, albeit it could be a bit longer.

Hi Nica! Yes, I would have loved TOH as a summer single too (to achieve that, I would have released Ghost Town earlier---ideally, in the dead of winter ::devil::), but I can live with it being an autumn release (in the Northern Hemisphere). And at least the Aussies and my fellow New Zealanders will be able to enjoy it into the summer that way ::laughing::

I do think Rumors has real potential as a single, though, like you, I found Tove Lo's voice too generic on first listening. But she's grown on me; there's a plaintive quality I quite like in her voice, particularly in her opening verse.

Re Lucy: I've always thought that sonically it was the odd man out on the album too, though I can understand why they decided to place it straight after Evil in the Night. (The "evil" theme continues---but not in a fun way for poor old Lucy, admittedly!)
What the heck, I would vote for These Boys as best selling, but the producers I think would go for EITN or ToH as next single. ::winking:: ::winking:: ::winking::
Hi crocked: I adore These Boys (and Shame), and while it would be a brave Warners who would choose this song as a single, I can also see it smashing. Given a chance, it's absolutely irresistible. And who cares that it's a bonus track?! I honestly don't think those distinctions matter any more. Besides, the deluxe version of the album has vastly outsold the standard version---to the point where the former has become essentially the "regular" version ::smile::

As for Adam needing to incorporate more gyrations into TOH, I have every faith that he will! But I have to give him credit for being as sexy as he was on the GMAs when it was only 8:40am. I'm still in my slippers at that time and without a gyration in sight.... ::tongue::
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

Popping in to vote ;)

TOH is my personal fave, but I think ALN and EITN stand more chance of being commercially successful. I'd like to see ALN, but as someone said upthread, EITN seems to be Adam's fav...so I think that will be single #2.
Love2Lurk

Post by Love2Lurk »

DerekMcG » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:22 am wrote:
nica575 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:14 pm wrote:

Hi Nica! Yes, I would have loved TOH as a summer single too (to achieve that, I would have released Ghost Town earlier---ideally, in the dead of winter ::devil::), but I can live with it being an autumn release (in the Northern Hemisphere). And at least the Aussies and my fellow New Zealanders will be able to enjoy it into the summer that way ::laughing::

I do think Rumors has real potential as a single, though, like you, I found Tove Lo's voice too generic on first listening. But she's grown on me; there's a plaintive quality I quite like in her voice, particularly in her opening verse.

Re Lucy: I've always thought that sonically it was the odd man out on the album too, though I can understand why they decided to place it straight after Evil in the Night. (The "evil" theme continues---but not in a fun way for poor old Lucy, admittedly!)
What the heck, I would vote for These Boys as best selling, but the producers I think would go for EITN or ToH as next single. ::winking:: ::winking:: ::winking::
Hi crocked: I adore These Boys (and Shame), and while it would be a brave Warners who would choose this song as a single, I can also see it smashing. Given a chance, it's absolutely irresistible. And who cares that it's a bonus track?! I honestly don't think those distinctions matter any more. Besides, the deluxe version of the album has vastly outsold the standard version---to the point where the former has become essentially the "regular" version ::smile::

As for Adam needing to incorporate more gyrations into TOH, I have every faith that he will! But I have to give him credit for being as sexy as he was on the GMAs when it was only 8:40am. I'm still in my slippers at that time and without a gyration in sight.... ::tongue::

I would so love if ...These Boys...would get a chance to be a single.....such a fun & catchy song !!!

IMO....Rumors will be a single at some point....seems like a good Fall/winter song to me ::thumbup::

I also think....Lucy will be performed at future Queenbert concerts...
would also love the hear Queenbert perform EITN.... ::thumbsup::

Anyway....still loving TOH....so happy & proud for Adam ::wub:: ::thumbsup::
[i][color=indigo][b]It is what it is !!! It ain't that deep !!!![/b][/color][/i]
crocked

Post by crocked »

I fervently hope that Lucy will be included in the Queen's show. Only Brian and Adam together could justify the song. Nobody can beat the duo performing Lucy. ::smile:: ::smile::
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

These Boys e.t.c. Is a bonus track well never be a single. Not that it coulden't, it is just not common, so I don't see it happening. TOH shoulden't of been the lead single. GT was the perfect choice it is new, fresh, and different, and stands out on Pop Radio. It is what Adam needed. I think next single should most definitely be TOH then Rumours, but that is just me. OR ALN.
nica575

Post by nica575 »

It seems all three bonus tracks are loved by many!

all three are so amazing and different!

I ADORE AFTER HOURS! it creates this special atmosphere, Adam's voice is so low and it does seem like he is singing directly into my ear (as he mentioned in some interview recently)..

the BOYZ...omg! the moment I hear "..call me stupid, stupid" I start smiling! So catchy! Could be a great single, for sure...
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

nica575 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:48 am wrote:It seems all three bonus tracks are loved by many!

all three are so amazing and different!

I ADORE AFTER HOURS! it creates this special atmosphere, Adam's voice is so low and it does seem like he is singing directly into my ear (as he mentioned in some interview recently)..

the BOYZ...omg! the moment I hear "..call me stupid, stupid" I start smiling! So catchy! Could be a great single, for sure...
I find "After Hours" very sexy and dreamy, and I'm not surprised that Adam has suggested it as a great make-out accompaniment ::haha:: Of course, it would never be a single---as someone said, it's more like a "stream of consciousness" than a conventional song, but, oh, what a sublime one! ::yes::

Shame makes me laugh so much! Adam's having so much fun with the delicious lyrics here that he simply must include this in his future concerts. It would be such "a damn sha-a-a-ame" if he didn't ::tongue::

And I'm definitely with you on "These Boys"! It's pure pop: instantly likeable and memorably catchy. If it's not a single further down the track, then it needs to be used for something: an anti-bullying campaign (as has been suggested), perhaps? It's just too adorable not to find a wider public.

Ultimately, I really don't mind whether it's EITN, ALN, Rumors, Underground, or These Boys that becomes the third single---and there are compelling arguments, I believe, for all five---but to keep the GT momentum going, the second single needs to be equally original and inspired: TOH, in other words! ::thumbsup::
Moved from The Lesser Used Threads to 2015 Adam Music on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:41 pm by madamimadam

Return to “2015 Adam Music”