Poll: What's Your Choice for the Second Single?

What would be the most commercially successful follow-up single to "Ghost Town"?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:07 am

The Original High
66%
Another Lonely Night
7%
Underground
No votes
There I Said It
2%
Rumors
5%
Evil in the Night
15%
Things I Didn't Say
2%
The Light
No votes
Shame
No votes
These Boys
2%

Total votes: 41

3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

These Boys e.t.c. Is a bonus track well never be a single. Not that it coulden't, it is just not common, so I don't see it happening. TOH shoulden't of been the lead single. GT was the perfect choice it is new, fresh, and different, and stands out on Pop Radio. It is what Adam needed. I think next single should most definitely be TOH then Rumours, but that is just me. OR ALN.
nica575

Post by nica575 »

It seems all three bonus tracks are loved by many!

all three are so amazing and different!

I ADORE AFTER HOURS! it creates this special atmosphere, Adam's voice is so low and it does seem like he is singing directly into my ear (as he mentioned in some interview recently)..

the BOYZ...omg! the moment I hear "..call me stupid, stupid" I start smiling! So catchy! Could be a great single, for sure...
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

nica575 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:48 am wrote:It seems all three bonus tracks are loved by many!

all three are so amazing and different!

I ADORE AFTER HOURS! it creates this special atmosphere, Adam's voice is so low and it does seem like he is singing directly into my ear (as he mentioned in some interview recently)..

the BOYZ...omg! the moment I hear "..call me stupid, stupid" I start smiling! So catchy! Could be a great single, for sure...
I find "After Hours" very sexy and dreamy, and I'm not surprised that Adam has suggested it as a great make-out accompaniment ::haha:: Of course, it would never be a single---as someone said, it's more like a "stream of consciousness" than a conventional song, but, oh, what a sublime one! ::yes::

Shame makes me laugh so much! Adam's having so much fun with the delicious lyrics here that he simply must include this in his future concerts. It would be such "a damn sha-a-a-ame" if he didn't ::tongue::

And I'm definitely with you on "These Boys"! It's pure pop: instantly likeable and memorably catchy. If it's not a single further down the track, then it needs to be used for something: an anti-bullying campaign (as has been suggested), perhaps? It's just too adorable not to find a wider public.

Ultimately, I really don't mind whether it's EITN, ALN, Rumors, Underground, or These Boys that becomes the third single---and there are compelling arguments, I believe, for all five---but to keep the GT momentum going, the second single needs to be equally original and inspired: TOH, in other words! ::thumbsup::
Love2Lurk

Post by Love2Lurk »

As with the bonus track of TP...TOH bonus tracks are like icing on the cake !!!

They are delicious ::icecream::

Again....love....These Boys....I think it is Adam's Ode to the suits in the music business .....(RCA) ::bleh::

agree....when he says....who ya calling stupid....stupid.... ::hysterical:: to funny ::hysterical::

I think that is why I like it so much....plus fun vocals & sound... ::thumbsup::

I also love After Hours.....such a smooth ...cool...vibe ::wub::

I feel there could be some commercial success with that song.....

As with a movie or TV show...or....commercial....something like that ::winking::

I am sort of thinking that EITN may be the next single tho....

Adam kills it when he preforms it ....live ::thumbup:: ::wub::
[i][color=indigo][b]It is what it is !!! It ain't that deep !!!![/b][/color][/i]
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

Love2Lurk » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:17 pm wrote:As with the bonus track of TP...TOH bonus tracks are like icing on the cake !!!

They are delicious ::icecream::

Again....love....These Boys....I think it is Adam's Ode to the suits in the music business .....(RCA) ::bleh::

agree....when he says....who ya calling stupid....stupid.... ::hysterical:: to funny ::hysterical::

I think that is why I like it so much....plus fun vocals & sound... ::thumbsup::

I also love After Hours.....such a smooth ...cool...vibe ::wub::

I feel there could be some commercial success with that song.....

As with a movie or TV show...or....commercial....something like that ::winking::

I am sort of thinking that EITN may be the next single tho....

Adam kills it when he preforms it ....live ::thumbup:: ::wub::
What impresses me most about These Boys and Shame---aside from all the endearing and impressive vocal tricks on display here, such as the yodelling on TB---is that they're both just brimming over with personality. They allow Adam to show us all his playfulness and winking naughtiness ::devil:: I realize that they're never going to be everyone's cup of tea, simply because they are pure pop fun---and I also think that Adam was right to make them bonus tracks, as their vibe is just so different from the album proper. But they're delicious morsels, and full of that same quintessential Adam zest that we hear on EITN.

I think the fact that we can make a case for so many of the tracks on this album as singles speaks volumes about its potential commercial appeal.

As for After Hours, I'll be surprised if it doesn't find its way onto the soundtrack of something, whether it's a TV show or an indie movie. Yes, it positively drips with atmosphere ::smile::
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

I just love Shame. I picture Adam singing it to Sauli, actually ::devil::
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

sandyrk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:44 am wrote:I just love Shame. I picture Adam singing to to Sauli, actually ::devil::
Ha! Especially the line "God knows I've been a very bad boy" ::haha::
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

DerekMcG » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:53 am wrote:
sandyrk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:44 am wrote:I just love Shame. I picture Adam singing to to Sauli, actually ::devil::
Ha! Especially the line "God knows I've been a very bad boy" ::haha::
::yessss:: ::icant::
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

Well that is one interpretation that Adam is singing about one of his exes. I don't really know who Sauli is tbh lol. BT's are strong too, but a reason why they are BTs. On any other pop album say Katy they would stand out. But the strongest tracks are on the Standard. From GT - Rumors.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

3ku1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:09 am wrote:Well that is one interpretation that Adam is singing about one of his exes. I don't really know who Sauli is tbh lol. BT's are strong too, but a reason why they are BTs. On any other pop album say Katy they would stand out. But the strongest tracks are on the Standard. From GT - Rumors.
Of course, Adam didn't actually write the song, so it would be a bit of a stretch to say that he's singing about a particular ex. But I'm sure he related to the song!

Yes, I agree that the three bonus tracks would be standouts on just about any other pop album.

Actually, I was just thinking that both These Boys and Shame would have fitted in perfectly on the first half of Trespassing, alongside Naked Love. I'd happily have replaced NCOE with either one of them ::haha::
nica575

Post by nica575 »

DerekMcG » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:58 pm wrote:
3ku1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:09 am wrote:Well that is one interpretation that Adam is singing about one of his exes. I don't really know who Sauli is tbh lol. BT's are strong too, but a reason why they are BTs. On any other pop album say Katy they would stand out. But the strongest tracks are on the Standard. From GT - Rumors.
Of course, Adam didn't actually write the song, so it would be a bit of a stretch to say that he's singing about a particular ex. But I'm sure he related to the song!

Yes, I agree that the three bonus tracks would be standouts on just about any other pop album.

Actually, I was just thinking that both These Boys and Shame would have fitted in perfectly on the first half of Trespassing, alongside Naked Love. I'd happily have replaced NCOE with either one of them ::haha::
::grin:: you went there, didn't you? ::whistle:: NCOE should've never made ANY album, let alone be a single... a horror of a song, even Adam couldn't make it work...

- you are right! TB and Shame would fit TP perfectly! ::thumbup::

and After Hours can join By The Rules and Voodoo as another perfectly perfect sexy, moody, vibey perfection! ::wub::
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

For the record though it is very unlikely a BT well be a single. Still think Runnin being a BT was a dumb move, should of been a radio single. It is out of TOH, ALN, EITN, UG possibly. My bet is TOH or EITN. I would go with TOH for the single of the summer. Then EITN for the Halloween. But that is just me. Or if Tove Lo's next single is big, perfect timing for Rumors to be third single. For the record I have said that twice now haha, these are the most played songs on Spotify;

Ghost Town 16,021,950 mill plays

Another Lonely Night 926,954 plays

Underground 708,337 plays

Evil in the Night 654,124 plays

The Original High 484,168 plays

Rumors 313,666 plays

Now based on that ALN next single or UG. But depends what song was released first. I am a sucker for TOH, so hope its TOH or ALN.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

nica575 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:54 am wrote:
DerekMcG » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:58 pm wrote:

::grin:: you went there, didn't you? ::whistle:: NCOE should've never made ANY album, let alone be a single... a horror of a song, even Adam couldn't make it work...

- you are right! TB and Shame would fit TP perfectly! ::thumbup::

and After Hours can join By The Rules and Voodoo as another perfectly perfect sexy, moody, vibey perfection! ::wub::
Oh, naughty Nica: I love your post!

"Voodoo" is one of my favourite Adam recordings: a piece of steamy perfection, and our earliest indication that his bonus tracks, at least, were always going to be very special indeed.

But getting back to "These Boys" (and yes, 3ku1, I do realize that it has virtually zero chance of becoming a single because it's a bonus track), but with a glance back to my favourite FYE (non-bonus) track, "Fever," I agree with every word of this June 10 post by the extraordinary fifthhousesun on Adamtopia.com. (I trust it's OK for me to post it here.)
Winging in from the Way Back Machine to theorize - to those who might get a smile - that "These Boys" is a kind of FU about "Fever".

"These Boys" has to be one of the most radio ready, monster hits ever. Imagine if Swifty or Perry had recorded it. Would be the only song playing on radio. (Of course, same could be said for ever track on TOH). Actually, that beat is so bulletproof, anyone could have autotune recorded it and be soaring. It's just splendidly commercial. While being a great song.

"Fever" was a close to sure fire radio winner as any song could ever be. Gaga wrote it. Amazing beat. Built in PR. Except for that pronoun situation. And if Gaga and Adam hadn't been imbibing, maybe gender neutral would have seemed more progressive and embracing. And Fever would have had its day.

And now, "These Boys". What a driving, thriving hit song. Yet, even in 2015, still must be a Bonus Track.

But lyrics like "Listen to the radio and let it go" just, IMHO, scream: Look, I can do this radio shit better-er than anyone alive, and on key, actually singing with innovation. Just a theory.

Of course, "These Boys" is about as likely as "Fever" to get played. (But gotta love "Go ahead and take a number!" What a lyric!)
What a post!!
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

For the record NZ with Singapore was the only country in the world where Fever was released as a single. It did reasonably well it peaked at #19 on Our Rianz Top 40 Singles Chart. And went platnum. Went #1 in Singapore, and peaked #5 on the ZM 20 Countdown. Was also Top ten on our Itunes charts overall. We also got Sure Fire Winners as a single. NZ is a pretty liberal country though, so a song like Fever has no hang ups.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

No offense I really like Shame the best. But they are BT's for a reason. They sound like afterthoughts. They are very good pop songs, and would be a huge hit say on Katy Perry's album, not for Adam JMO. I think the best radio ready songs are TOH, ALN, EITN, UG e.t.c. I still think it is TOH. But I think ALN is the next probable, then EITN. I Think Things I diddn't say which I love, is a potential radio single too. But this is determined if Ghost Town and 3rd radio single are smash hits. If it was me TOH/ALN, then EITN or Rumors. If Tove Lo's next single is a smash, timing would be perfect. Radio would love a Tove Lo/Lambert duet. Be the next Somebody I used to know. But if their is someone I Would love Adam to collab with that is not Katy, Lorde.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

3ku1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:13 pm wrote:No offense I really like Shame the best. But they are BT's for a reason. They sound like afterthoughts. They are very good pop songs, and would be a huge hit say on Katy Perry's album, not for Adam JMO. I think the best radio ready songs are TOH, ALN, EITN, UG e.t.c. I still think it is TOH. But I think ALN is the next probable, then EITN. I Think Things I diddn't say which I love, is a potential radio single too. But this is determined if Ghost Town and 3rd radio single are smash hits. If it was me TOH/ALN, then EITN or Rumors. If Tove Lo's next single is a smash, timing would be perfect. Radio would love a Tove Lo/Lambert duet. Be the next Somebody I used to know. But if their is someone I Would love Adam to collab with that is not Katy, Lorde.
I adore "Shame" and "These Boys" equally (which is probably not that surprising, since they both written by the same duo), but I feel that TB would have more commercial appeal. "Shame" is quirkier, and the winking pain references would possible make Radio PDs nervous (simply because it's a gay man singing them. Double standards still apply).

But I accept that neither song has any real chance of ever being a single.

By the way, it was interesting to learn from an interview with Adam the other day that "Shame" and "These Boys" were recorded early on in the third album sessions. So initially, at least---and before the overall vibe of the album changed to a darker, more introspective one---they must have been seen as serious contenders for the album proper. Making them bonus tracks was the right decision, I feel, though it must be a little sad for the writers to know that, as a result, these songs are unlikely to gain the wider audience that they deserve. But fans are going to love these songs when Adam performs them in concert, as I'm sure he will. (And it helps that they'll be a lot easier to perform than the likes of "Can't Let You Go" and "Runnin," to name two bonus tracks that Adam has avoided in performance, probably because of their difficulty level.)

As for the next single, I'm now convinced that the four strongest contenders are TOH, Rumors, Underground and ALN, but I still think that the first of these will be the ultimate choice. If I'm wrong, though, I won't be heartbroken ::haha:: I now feel there's a strong case to be made for all four, despite TOH being the most creative and perfectly formed of the quartet (in my opinion). But it's interesting: I sense there's an age divide as far as Rumors and Underground are concerned. It seems to me that the younger the listener, the more likely s/he is to love these two (particularly Rumors). TOH and ALN, on the other hand, seem to have more cross-generational appeal.

I've gone from thinking that EITN had terrific single potential (when I first heard it) to believing that it should not be a single---at least not until the four above have been released first ::haha:: I still love the song, but I don't think it stands up as well to multiple playings as the other four.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

I love Rumors, maybe being in my mid twenties. I can relate I guess in my generation with smart phones, social media e.t.c. Everyone deals with your private life being public. TOH and ALN have a more cross generational effect I agree. EITN I Thought and still think hit potential, but now? I don't know Im kinda wayward, change my mind easily haha. TOH ALN, are prob probable. Although Adam did say in that interview he is thinking of EITN as next single, so what do fans know haha.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

3ku1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:31 pm wrote:I love Rumors, maybe being in my mid twenties. I can relate I guess in my generation with smart phones, social media e.t.c. Everyone deals with your private life being public. TOH and ALN have a more cross generational effect I agree. EITN I Thought and still think hit potential, but now? I don't know Im kinda wayward, change my mind easily haha. TOH ALN, are prob probable. Although Adam did say in that interview he is thinking of EITN as next single, so what do fans know haha.
Luke: We don't really know what Adam said in that interview, and the person who reported the comment (the DJ from the iHeart concert) is a big fan of EITN. It's my hunch that the conversation went something like this:

DJ: I love EITN. Any chance of it being the next single?
Adam (not wanting to rule anything out): It's possible, but we're a long way off from deciding yet.

That was then translated as "Adam is thinking about releasing EITN as the next single." ::grin::
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

Oh yeah fair enough. I think GT is doing well in the States, Europe, and South Africa for a reason. It suits their sensibilities. I think Asia Pacific maybe more open to say a TOH or especially ALN. GT as you prob know is not catching on in NZ, in terms of radio. Although the MV is pretty popular, peaked at #13 on MTV Pop 20. I think TOH or ALN could be big if released as singles in NZ.
Love2Lurk

Post by Love2Lurk »

IMO....Adam really likes to perform EITN......

I also think....Queenbert will perform ....Lucy......

soooooo....if Queenbert performs a couple of Adam's song too.....

EITN would be an awesome combo with Lucy....

Would love to hear Queenbert perform Lucy...as well as ...EITN ::thumbup::

So wondering if maybe...either of these songs could be singles at the time of their fall tour ????? ::thinking::

just adding more of my ....2cents ::rolleyes::
[i][color=indigo][b]It is what it is !!! It ain't that deep !!!![/b][/color][/i]
Moved from The Lesser Used Threads to 2015 Adam Music on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:41 pm by madamimadam

Return to “2015 Adam Music”