Poll: What's Your Choice for the Second Single?

What would be the most commercially successful follow-up single to "Ghost Town"?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:07 am

The Original High
66%
Another Lonely Night
7%
Underground
No votes
There I Said It
2%
Rumors
5%
Evil in the Night
15%
Things I Didn't Say
2%
The Light
No votes
Shame
No votes
These Boys
2%

Total votes: 41

DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

jlynn1205 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:47 pm wrote:
I'm so happy GT is doing well. I love that song. Don't shoot me but my hang up with TOH is I haven't heard a live version of it I love. It is a hard song to recreate live. Kind of like FYE I love the recorded version, never heard a live version I liked. Now of course we are talking radio and it is a great recording but I always envision the promo involved and I want him to knock it out of the park live. I freakin love EITN live and recorded. Rumors is a bit generic but it has really grown on me and their voices are incredible. I think radio would play it like crazy since it is catchy, angsty for the teens, and hot new artist collaboration. Really for me though ALN checks all the boxes...gorgeous vocals, universal theme people would relate to, deeper meaning than catchy hook, and an earworm on first listen.
Great post!

I wonder if the reason you haven't liked any of the live versions of TOH so far is that Adam has been singing it a semitone down? That semitone tweak makes a surprising difference to the vibrancy of the song---obviously it loses a little brightness when it's pitched lower. But in live performance, it makes the falsetto parts a little easier for Adam, while also giving him the luxury of taking the climactic note even higher---nearly causing fans to pass out, according to someone at Morongo. The only downside of singing it lower is that it makes the beginning slightly tricky, since it's not in Adam's vocal comfort zone.

Mind you, ALN is no pushover to sing either! Its chorus is hard work, even for Adam, I sense. But the verses are great live.

I agree about the live performances of FYE, though. RCA (and Adam?) were crazy to have picked a song that was never going to sound impressive live.

Like you, I've come round to the idea of Rumors and ALN as second single frontrunners, and won't be distraught if either of these is chosen over my TOH ::smile:: But if Rumors is chosen, and Tove Lo's not around to co-perform it, wouldn't that be a little weird? Logistically, it would be a bit of nightmare, I'd imagine, though the music video featuring both of them (of course) could be quite something!
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

I actually think they may wait to see if Tove Lo's next single explodes. If it does it would make sense to go ALN then Rumors. Then possibly TOH. I have a feeling though TOH well be next single. But ALN reminds me of a Gaga song, who I am a big fan of. Lambert/Tove would be a hot new duet though, radio would lap up. I can see Rumors being played over and over on radio. It's also got a universal message, about people's privacy and social media. EITN is possible but maybe Halloween single. It is hard to predict these things, I mean some songs explode and go viral (Call me Maybe) and some singles take longer (Walk the Moon, Ghost Town ;)).
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

Watching Adam perform GT on the Australian Voice last night, it reinforced for me how important the build is on a song---especially when promoting a single. GT definitely has that excitement factor: a climax that seems to get the audience's collective pulse racing.

That's my main problem with Another Lonely Night: it doesn't have the "wow" factor of an exciting climax, and its structure is quite predictable. Now that may well suit Radio just fine (and will especially soothe late-night listeners travelling on a lonely highway), but for promotion purposes, it wouldn't achieve nearly as much impact in live performance as The Original High. (Imagine if Adam had sung that last night as well on The Voice! You would have seen audience members passing out with that high note ::grin::)

So, in a nutshell, my preferred choice for the next single is still TOH ::thumbsup::
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

ALN bores me, except for the moo, which my husband assures me is not what a cow sounds like, but he knows far better than I about these matters.

I really hope it's TOH too. ::hugkissblush::
leothelion

Post by leothelion »

sandyrk » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:11 pm wrote:ALN bores me, except for the moo, which my husband assures me is not what a cow sounds like, but he knows far better than I about these matters.

I really hope it's TOH too. ::hugkissblush::
I hope the next single is a smash. I don't know why, but I think the next single will outperform GT. Both ALN and TOH are great songs imo, but TOH has a sexy vibe. WB have a tough choice ahead of them. If they factor in YouTube views then Underneath would be a contender as well, but I think that is because it has been there longer.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

There I said it kinda bores me to be honest lol. Woulden't call ALN boring or repetitive. ITs got a great beat, and it is unique. I think it's one of the choices for radio single 2. But I Think TOH seems more likely.
hotouthere

Post by hotouthere »

I read an article that said that repetition is the key to the majority of hit songs. Repeated words/phrases within the songs and then songs that are put in high rotation.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

3ku1 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:31 am wrote:There I said it kinda bores me to be honest lol. Woulden't call ALN boring or repetitive. ITs got a great beat, and it is unique. I think it's one of the choices for radio single 2. But I Think TOH seems more likely.
I like There I Said It, but I think the one concert performance we've had of the song so far proved that it works better in a live setting than it does on record. With Another Lonely Night and Underground, on the other hand, I feel the studio versions still have the edge over the live performances I've heard. That hasn't been the case with Ghost Town and Evil in the Night.

The Original High is a case apart, since Adam's been singing it in a lower key than on the album. I know the live performances haven't been pitch-perfect, with a bit of uncharacteristic flatness in his lower register (the same problem he used to have when performing Aftermath), but they have been exciting----and surely that's the main thing. (And if it wasn't pitched a semitone lower, those lower notes probably wouldn't trouble him.)

Of course, if it's chosen as a single, then he may well start singing it in the original key ::smile::
barb4Adam

Post by barb4Adam »

from the comments...
lilian alcasid.... "TOH is insanely fabulous song indeed!!!:)))
The host said brand new single!!!!!:))) OMG"!!!
Adam Lambert performs live..The Morning Show
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

barb4Adam » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:48 pm wrote:from the comments...
Curious! Was that a slip of the tongue by the host, or was he giving us the official line? It seems odd that we'd find out the title of the new single this way, and it's surely too soon as well, so I'm definitely skeptical...
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

ScorpioBert 4h

"It is what it is!"
marlock276

Post by marlock276 »

DerekMcG » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:01 pm wrote:Watching Adam perform GT on the Australian Voice last night, it reinforced for me how important the build is on a song---especially when promoting a single. GT definitely has that excitement factor: a climax that seems to get the audience's collective pulse racing.

That's my main problem with Another Lonely Night: it doesn't have the "wow" factor of an exciting climax, and its structure is quite predictable. Now that may well suit Radio just fine (and will especially soothe late-night listeners travelling on a lonely highway), but for promotion purposes, it wouldn't achieve nearly as much impact in live performance as The Original High. (Imagine if Adam had sung that last night as well on The Voice! You would have seen audience members passing out with that high note ::grin::)

So, in a nutshell, my preferred choice for the next single is still TOH ::thumbsup::
I understand what you're saying . . . I'm torn between TOH and ALN . . . this performance of ALN, though (In Session), might be one of my favorite Adam performances . . . LOVE the way he jazzes up the begininng . . . I could picture him performing this on the Grammys:

[bbvideo=560,315]https://screen.yahoo.com/adam-lambert-a ... 15222.html[/bbvideo]
bebeg

Post by bebeg »

DerekMcG » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:56 pm wrote:
barb4Adam » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:48 pm wrote:from the comments...
Curious! Was that a slip of the tongue by the host, or was he giving us the official line? It seems odd that we'd find out the title of the new single this way, and it's surely too soon as well, so I'm definitely skeptical...
I think it was just a case of using the wrong word - 'single' instead of 'song'.
uche

Post by uche »

I was shopping in an H&M last week, and Things I Didn't Say came on. WOW was all I had to say - it was a nice surprise, and I must say that I honestly think that it and Rumors are Adam's best chances of having smash hits. TIDS has VERY relatable lyrics that are SIMPLE and catchy. And obvs Rumors because no one can deny that Tove Lo has momentum.
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

uche » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:48 am wrote:I was shopping in an H&M last week, and Things I Didn't Say came on. WOW was all I had to say - it was a nice surprise, and I must say that I honestly think that it and Rumors are Adam's best chances of having smash hits. TIDS has VERY relatable lyrics that are SIMPLE and catchy. And obvs Rumors because no one can deny that Tove Lo has momentum.
Interesting idea about TIDS. I think you're right!!! There's not that much to it, but it is catchy and might work.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

Ghost Town is a smash hit though. So i dont think Tids which i love and does have radio potential, or Rumors which potentially could smash too, really compare at this point. I actually beleive Aln has the potential.to smash even more then gt.
crocked

Post by crocked »

There are only 3 who got right the second single. One of them is Marlock. I wonder who the other two were.
I forgot what I voted, but it was a hard decision between eitn and toh.
I wonder what made them chose ALN. Because they could make a very good video out of it?
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

crocked » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:22 am wrote:There are only 3 who got right the second single. One of them is Marlock. I wonder who the other two were.
I forgot what I voted, but it was a hard decision between eitn and toh.
I wonder what made them chose ALN. Because they could make a very good video out of it?
I vote ALN haha. They choose ALN, because it is a great pop song. But prob fits the image WBR are going for with Adam. Kinda reinventing Adam in a way. Prob the perfect choice after GT, contrasts GT nicely. I Think EITN could be third single. TOH too me is a bit theatrical for radio, and the possible drug references maybe a hinderence. I think The Light could be a possible one too.
crocked

Post by crocked »

Congratulations !!! ::cha_ching::
I have to remember it in mind that you got it,when we have to guess the 3rd single. You will probably hit it. And I love your justifications....
And I think though GT made it big faster than ALN, ALN will up there, slowly and surely. What do you think... will it outsell GT? Though there is sinilarity in the theme (loneliness), the video do contrast.

What was your fav song in TOH album? Just curious... would not like to read all posts regarding that all over again...
sandyrk

Post by sandyrk »

It's probably time to think about the 3rd single. I guess Madam will start a separate thread on this. While I see thematically, that it is bound to be EITN, I'd like him to switch it up to TOH. But that will probably be a summer song.

My personal current favor is The Light, but it may not have much commercial appeal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Moved from The Lesser Used Threads to 2015 Adam Music on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:41 pm by madamimadam

Return to “2015 Adam Music”