Adam's Vocal Abilities

madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

(Love2Lurk @ Feb 20th 2015, 5:23 PM) *

I feel ....Adam will be on Broadway one day......at the time he chooses......

I have always wished someone would write an...OTT....Rock Opera....just for him.....

It would be amazing  thumbsup.gif  wub.gif
All tho....Tony in West Side Story.....would be wonderful too  thumbsup.gif  wub.gif
And.....Welcome ....Cait1602  bye1.gif  flowers.gif
'badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 7:52 PM'

Hi Cait  :flowers:

I'd love to hear Adam doing Broadway musicals - or even Andrew LLoyd Webber on Broadway!  And a rock opera for him would be incredible, as it would combine his singing and his acting.
(BHS9697 @ Feb 20th 2015, 12:27 PM) *

At 3:01 there's a mix of the band's back up vocals, Adam's mic echo and Adam quickly doing a one-octave jump at the word 'live' (who want's to lii-IIIIVE forever...) -if that makes any sense haha.gif I'm sure the professional singers here can explain it a lot better.

And YES, please, let us hear even a little glimpse of Adam's vocal warm up routine wub.gif
'badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 7:52 PM'

Yes, that does make sense - Adam's basically playing with the harmonies here.

It would be interesting to hear what sort of things he does to warm his voice up, as everyone has their own little routine of scales and peculiar noises that they make.  It's the same principle as the warm-up that an athlete does - you need to stretch the muscles in an ordered way to make sure that everything's working properly before you start putting pressure on your voice.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'graffeodl' date='Feb 20th 2015, 8:29 PM'

Talking about vocal warmups reminded me of this article with interviews of former theater cast mates.

http://famewatcher.com/adam-lamberts-broad...s-cheering.html
'madamimadam' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:00 PM'

Thanks for bringing that in! I read it way back when, but it's fun to read it with the knowledge of what he has already accomplished!

:flowers:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

name='badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:09 PM'

Have managed to get decent mobile broadband speed tonight and have listened to the Brigadoon song.  This isn't a musical I've heard - I know the storyline, but that's about all.

For a singer of 23, that was ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL.  Singers' voices take time to mature, particularly men, as of course they have to go through all the stuff with their voices breaking, whereas a woman's voice doesn't. For someone of the age he was then, the sound is astonishing!  It's controlled, even and beautifully blended throughout, and he sings with real sensivity.  He even manages to put a little bit of Scottish accent into the voice.  Also, the tuning is spot on - every note is bang in the middle, there isn't any obtrusive vibrato anywhere.

He's producing a proper tenor leggiero sound at this point;  this type of voice can do music theatre or certain types of opera (anyone who's into opera, this would probably cover the repertoire known as bel canto, by composers such as Rossini and Donizetti - the tenor roles are light and **very** high).

To be honest, I'm amazed he didn't get further in music theatre roles singing like that - I can only guess that either he didn't have the right contacts/agent, or maybe the music theatre market in the US is a bit too conservative for someone like Adam?  I don't know, I'm guessing here.  Not having the right contacts can make a massive different though - I know this to my own cost as I used to watch people getting roles because of the people they knew (or had slept with!!).

That song from Brigadoon is beautiful, beautiful singing - if anything, I'm even more surprised at his versatility than I was before.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:21 PM'

And I've just found something on YouTube called "Upright Cabaret".  Ded, just ded.  It shouldn't be legal to be able to sing like that.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'madamimadam' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:22 PM'

Brigadoon: Thanks! And the way he holds that note and goes on singing a few more WITHOUT taking a breath just floors me...

He also did great with this song in The Ten Commandments (actually the only one who got rave reviews, the show was considered 'crap')...

Is Anybody Listening (2007)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvwcJUhIa0U
[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'madamimadam' date='Feb 20th 2015, 10:03 PM'

Best I can do about vocal warm ups...

Diva's...

https://vimeo.com/55907941

Or in the blooper reel

Second show of GNT tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZwh3IU7jP0

Or CBS Early Show in May 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZGt2fM0zAs

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'donnamb' date='Feb 21st 2015, 12:07 AM'

Of course, I got lost watching the highlights from VH1 divas.

If memory serves, Adam likes to get his heart rate up by exercising.  Then there was a little interview with a vocal coach before the GNT tour.  Mentioned warming up to a few notes above the highest one Adam expected to hit in the concert.

Maybe some breathing exercises as well?
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'hotouthere' date='Feb 21st 2015, 12:13 AM'

We can't forget one of his most famous warm ups/sound checks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O568Sb6L1O4

[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'donnamb' date='Feb 21st 2015, 12:24 AM'

Ah - you reminded me.  Adam not only has to warm up his voice, but then also has to work with the sound people at each concert to make sure the acoustics work.  I assume then, from what we've seen, there's some down time for dinner/dressing.  He probably warms up his vocals again, and then gets into stretching the muscles out, and into performance mode right before the show.
Lots of work each concert day.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'svca' date='Feb 21st 2015, 12:36 AM'

My favorite warmup that was recorded by a fan was the one where his voice echoed inside that huge dome...I can't remember which song he was warming up with, but it was on one of the tours, it was overseas I think.  

Lol, I know that narrows it down, but I swear it sounded like the angels were singing.

Does anybody remember that?

God, I'm getting old, can't remember shit  :angry: .  I even had my son listen to it, it was so gorgeous.

:wacko:  :wacko:

This is going to bug me all night; hopefully I'll think of it before morning.  :(
'Glammed' date='Feb 21st 2015, 3:54 AM'
That was Who Wants to Live Forever I believe  :)

Wroclaw
'infinite' date='Feb 21st 2015, 4:18 AM'
[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

madamimadam:2212 wrote:
'badassalterego' date='Feb 20th 2015, 9:21 PM'

And I've just found something on YouTube called "Upright Cabaret".  Ded, just ded.  It shouldn't be legal to be able to sing like that.
'adamazing' date='Feb 21st 2015, 12:39 AM'

I love when people discover more about Adam -  and I'm loving this thread.

This early Art 4 Life performance is one of my favorites also.  Oh and the Zodiac show too. Enjoy!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zntiwD10pcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXvSA6QL7Ac...pcM&index=2
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'graffeodl' date='Feb 20th 2015, 8:29 PM'

Talking about vocal warmups reminded me of this article with interviews of former theater cast mates.

http://famewatcher.com/adam-lamberts-broad...s-cheering.html
'Cait1602' date='Feb 21st 2015, 4:26 AM'

I enjoyed reading that article. Love discovering his early years. I have listened to "Come to me, bend to me" already so many times. I cant believe how he could do it with 23. My mother heard it a few days ago and is telling everyone who comes to visit her about this song. Its so incredible...that voice. He always f**ks with my mind. Every day.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'infinite' date='Feb 21st 2015, 4:42 AM'

I loved reading that.... :wub:  his voice is just unbelievable and it's nice when other professionals acknowledge that too.  :yes:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'BHS9697' date='Feb 21st 2015, 5:06 AM'

Here's a soundcheck from Kiev (WAG tour) where you can hear him wanting to tweak the sound. Definitely lots of work for each show with soundcheck, vocal warm ups etc.

https://soundcloud.com/gala-teya/partial-soundcheck-before

Soooo many goodies in this thread this morning :wub:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'graffeodl' date='Feb 21st 2015, 9:17 AM'

For any who haven't yet read this the Ultimate Interview was a 4 part interview with Adam which was one of the most detailed interviews we have ever gotten.  I found a site that has all 4 parts posted.  This is the page that lists all 4 parts so just click on each one to read.

http://adam-lambert.org/?s=Ultimate+Interview

There's some vocal technique info in here.

Also wanted to point out to those who hadn't heard "Come to Me Bend to Me" before, in case you didn't realize it that was a recording of an actual live performance of the show at Houston's Theater Under the Stars.  There is a picture floating around somewhere of Adam with the first President Bush and his wife from this show with Adam in costume.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'Tiki'srose' date='Feb 21st 2015, 12:27 PM'

I may be wrong, but I am sure Adam does vocal exercises before even singing which is usually running up and down the scales.

I was lucky enough to have a few vocal lessons before the teacher moved out of town and was too far for me to go, but I did learn quite a bit during those few lessons and that was the one thing I always had to do before starting to sing or should I say try to sing.   :lol:  But I have to say, even after those few lessons I was able to sing in the right key and carry the tune and was shocked that I was a soprano.

The other thing I learned was to use my diaphragm for breathing. That's how Adam is able to hit and carry the high notes.

Unfortunately with moving into an apartment, I couldn't keep up the vocal exercises. Would have scared everyone out of the bldg if I went too high up the scale. :laugh:
'badassalterego' date='Feb 21st 2015, 7:15 PM'

When I was singing full time, I suspect I used to drive my neighbours mad!  I used to try and do the technical work when they were out, but I know I could be heard down the street when I was singing opera.

It's amazing how far a bit of tuition goes though - even people that think they can't sing will do a lot better if they're shown the basics.  Also, research has shown that there are LOTS of health benefits to singing.  It is a cardiovascular exercise and helps tone up the muscles in your torso, and it relieves stress.  Also, singing has been proven to be of great benefit to people who have had strokes and other brain injuries.  It even helps people with dementia.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'madamimadam' date='Feb 21st 2015, 3:58 PM'

But there's a huge difference between sound checks and vocal warm ups though... Trying to find the actual pre-show warm ups!
'BHS9697' date='Feb 21st 2015, 5:10 PM'

Exactly, Madam :yes:

I can't wait to see what you find re: vocal warm ups! :w00t:
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

(donnamb @ Feb 20th 2015, 11:24 PM) *

Ah - you reminded me. Adam not only has to warm up his voice, but then also has to work with the sound people at each concert to make sure the acoustics work. I assume then, from what we've seen, there's some down time for dinner/dressing. He probably warms up his vocals again, and then gets into stretching the muscles out, and into performance mode right before the show.
Lots of work each concert day.
'badassalterego' date='Feb 21st 2015, 7:36 PM'

Yep - preparing for performance takes a lot of work, and more so if you're touring.

You normally do a vocal warm-up, then let your voice rest for a few hours, then do a another, shorter warm-up nearer the start time.  Adam also does physical warm-ups and stretching because he moves about a lot on stage and I think he has a fitness trainer with him as well.

If you're performing in the same concert hall or opera house, then you don't have to do so much work in terms of sound checks.  But every venue is different; acoustics are affected by the height of the ceilings, the materials the building is made of, what the seating and flooring are made of, and all sorts of other factors.  Basically, hard surfaces will give more reverberation and make the singer's work easier.  The worst auditoriums to sing in are those with low ceilings and lots of soft seats or curtains.  They are like singing into a padded cell - you don't hear anything coming back and this can make you put too much pressure on your voice.

You also have to be careful what you eat when you're singing - you need some carbohydrates for energy, but you don't want to feel bloated or it will affect your breathing.  You also don't want to risk eating anything that could upset your stomach, as that could be very unpleasant!  :fear:  Most singers like to eat at least an hour before you start singing so that you're not still trying to digest everything.

Then - you need to relax!  It's really important to get into the zone, even if you don't get nervous about performing.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'graffeodl' date='Feb 21st 2015, 8:35 PM'

During GNT Adam had a stationary bike that was hauled around for him to exercise before shows.  He commented that starting out with a physical exercise warm up first actually was the first step in his vocal warm up because it gets your circulation going and warms up your muscles.

When Nile called him up to come in and work on "Lay Me Down" Adam initially tried to beg off because he had been up late and was hung over but Nile insisted that he needed him so Adam did 2 hours on a treadmill then went down to meet Nile.  They finished writing the lyrics and Adam layed down the vocal thinking that if Avicii liked it they'd rerecord it, but Nile and Avicii both loved it just the way it was.  So basically what Adam thought of as a tossed off demo vocal was what they loved and kept for the track.

ETA:  Here's another one for the newer folks, My Conviction from Hair.  Kind of Comedic light opera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v1IsOQhEH4
[youtube][/youtube]
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

'badassalterego' date='Feb 23rd 2015, 6:10 AM'

I saw Hair eons ago when I was a kid. Adam really has a totally elastic voice; I don't think I've ever heard anything like it. In some ways, it's almost too versatile, so I hope some producer or record company doesn't try and shove him in the wrong niche. However, I think he's probably too headstrong for that.

Have just had a quick listen to STL from Krakow (it's one of my fave Queen songs anyway, and Adam just nails it every single time). But the final glory note!! No man should be able to get up there without surgery - a lot of women can't. There's a fan vid on YouTube of it, and the filmer has mostly followed Brian. His face at the end is just priceless. He just loves Adam to bits. :wub:

Return to “The Lesser Used Threads”