Poll: What's Your Choice for the Second Single?

What would be the most commercially successful follow-up single to "Ghost Town"?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:07 am

The Original High
66%
Another Lonely Night
7%
Underground
No votes
There I Said It
2%
Rumors
5%
Evil in the Night
15%
Things I Didn't Say
2%
The Light
No votes
Shame
No votes
These Boys
2%

Total votes: 41

DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

3ku1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:09 am wrote:Well that is one interpretation that Adam is singing about one of his exes. I don't really know who Sauli is tbh lol. BT's are strong too, but a reason why they are BTs. On any other pop album say Katy they would stand out. But the strongest tracks are on the Standard. From GT - Rumors.
Of course, Adam didn't actually write the song, so it would be a bit of a stretch to say that he's singing about a particular ex. But I'm sure he related to the song!

Yes, I agree that the three bonus tracks would be standouts on just about any other pop album.

Actually, I was just thinking that both These Boys and Shame would have fitted in perfectly on the first half of Trespassing, alongside Naked Love. I'd happily have replaced NCOE with either one of them ::haha::
nica575

Post by nica575 »

DerekMcG » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:58 pm wrote:
3ku1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:09 am wrote:Well that is one interpretation that Adam is singing about one of his exes. I don't really know who Sauli is tbh lol. BT's are strong too, but a reason why they are BTs. On any other pop album say Katy they would stand out. But the strongest tracks are on the Standard. From GT - Rumors.
Of course, Adam didn't actually write the song, so it would be a bit of a stretch to say that he's singing about a particular ex. But I'm sure he related to the song!

Yes, I agree that the three bonus tracks would be standouts on just about any other pop album.

Actually, I was just thinking that both These Boys and Shame would have fitted in perfectly on the first half of Trespassing, alongside Naked Love. I'd happily have replaced NCOE with either one of them ::haha::
::grin:: you went there, didn't you? ::whistle:: NCOE should've never made ANY album, let alone be a single... a horror of a song, even Adam couldn't make it work...

- you are right! TB and Shame would fit TP perfectly! ::thumbup::

and After Hours can join By The Rules and Voodoo as another perfectly perfect sexy, moody, vibey perfection! ::wub::
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

For the record though it is very unlikely a BT well be a single. Still think Runnin being a BT was a dumb move, should of been a radio single. It is out of TOH, ALN, EITN, UG possibly. My bet is TOH or EITN. I would go with TOH for the single of the summer. Then EITN for the Halloween. But that is just me. Or if Tove Lo's next single is big, perfect timing for Rumors to be third single. For the record I have said that twice now haha, these are the most played songs on Spotify;

Ghost Town 16,021,950 mill plays

Another Lonely Night 926,954 plays

Underground 708,337 plays

Evil in the Night 654,124 plays

The Original High 484,168 plays

Rumors 313,666 plays

Now based on that ALN next single or UG. But depends what song was released first. I am a sucker for TOH, so hope its TOH or ALN.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

nica575 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:54 am wrote:
DerekMcG » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:58 pm wrote:

::grin:: you went there, didn't you? ::whistle:: NCOE should've never made ANY album, let alone be a single... a horror of a song, even Adam couldn't make it work...

- you are right! TB and Shame would fit TP perfectly! ::thumbup::

and After Hours can join By The Rules and Voodoo as another perfectly perfect sexy, moody, vibey perfection! ::wub::
Oh, naughty Nica: I love your post!

"Voodoo" is one of my favourite Adam recordings: a piece of steamy perfection, and our earliest indication that his bonus tracks, at least, were always going to be very special indeed.

But getting back to "These Boys" (and yes, 3ku1, I do realize that it has virtually zero chance of becoming a single because it's a bonus track), but with a glance back to my favourite FYE (non-bonus) track, "Fever," I agree with every word of this June 10 post by the extraordinary fifthhousesun on Adamtopia.com. (I trust it's OK for me to post it here.)
Winging in from the Way Back Machine to theorize - to those who might get a smile - that "These Boys" is a kind of FU about "Fever".

"These Boys" has to be one of the most radio ready, monster hits ever. Imagine if Swifty or Perry had recorded it. Would be the only song playing on radio. (Of course, same could be said for ever track on TOH). Actually, that beat is so bulletproof, anyone could have autotune recorded it and be soaring. It's just splendidly commercial. While being a great song.

"Fever" was a close to sure fire radio winner as any song could ever be. Gaga wrote it. Amazing beat. Built in PR. Except for that pronoun situation. And if Gaga and Adam hadn't been imbibing, maybe gender neutral would have seemed more progressive and embracing. And Fever would have had its day.

And now, "These Boys". What a driving, thriving hit song. Yet, even in 2015, still must be a Bonus Track.

But lyrics like "Listen to the radio and let it go" just, IMHO, scream: Look, I can do this radio shit better-er than anyone alive, and on key, actually singing with innovation. Just a theory.

Of course, "These Boys" is about as likely as "Fever" to get played. (But gotta love "Go ahead and take a number!" What a lyric!)
What a post!!
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

For the record NZ with Singapore was the only country in the world where Fever was released as a single. It did reasonably well it peaked at #19 on Our Rianz Top 40 Singles Chart. And went platnum. Went #1 in Singapore, and peaked #5 on the ZM 20 Countdown. Was also Top ten on our Itunes charts overall. We also got Sure Fire Winners as a single. NZ is a pretty liberal country though, so a song like Fever has no hang ups.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

No offense I really like Shame the best. But they are BT's for a reason. They sound like afterthoughts. They are very good pop songs, and would be a huge hit say on Katy Perry's album, not for Adam JMO. I think the best radio ready songs are TOH, ALN, EITN, UG e.t.c. I still think it is TOH. But I think ALN is the next probable, then EITN. I Think Things I diddn't say which I love, is a potential radio single too. But this is determined if Ghost Town and 3rd radio single are smash hits. If it was me TOH/ALN, then EITN or Rumors. If Tove Lo's next single is a smash, timing would be perfect. Radio would love a Tove Lo/Lambert duet. Be the next Somebody I used to know. But if their is someone I Would love Adam to collab with that is not Katy, Lorde.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

3ku1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:13 pm wrote:No offense I really like Shame the best. But they are BT's for a reason. They sound like afterthoughts. They are very good pop songs, and would be a huge hit say on Katy Perry's album, not for Adam JMO. I think the best radio ready songs are TOH, ALN, EITN, UG e.t.c. I still think it is TOH. But I think ALN is the next probable, then EITN. I Think Things I diddn't say which I love, is a potential radio single too. But this is determined if Ghost Town and 3rd radio single are smash hits. If it was me TOH/ALN, then EITN or Rumors. If Tove Lo's next single is a smash, timing would be perfect. Radio would love a Tove Lo/Lambert duet. Be the next Somebody I used to know. But if their is someone I Would love Adam to collab with that is not Katy, Lorde.
I adore "Shame" and "These Boys" equally (which is probably not that surprising, since they both written by the same duo), but I feel that TB would have more commercial appeal. "Shame" is quirkier, and the winking pain references would possible make Radio PDs nervous (simply because it's a gay man singing them. Double standards still apply).

But I accept that neither song has any real chance of ever being a single.

By the way, it was interesting to learn from an interview with Adam the other day that "Shame" and "These Boys" were recorded early on in the third album sessions. So initially, at least---and before the overall vibe of the album changed to a darker, more introspective one---they must have been seen as serious contenders for the album proper. Making them bonus tracks was the right decision, I feel, though it must be a little sad for the writers to know that, as a result, these songs are unlikely to gain the wider audience that they deserve. But fans are going to love these songs when Adam performs them in concert, as I'm sure he will. (And it helps that they'll be a lot easier to perform than the likes of "Can't Let You Go" and "Runnin," to name two bonus tracks that Adam has avoided in performance, probably because of their difficulty level.)

As for the next single, I'm now convinced that the four strongest contenders are TOH, Rumors, Underground and ALN, but I still think that the first of these will be the ultimate choice. If I'm wrong, though, I won't be heartbroken ::haha:: I now feel there's a strong case to be made for all four, despite TOH being the most creative and perfectly formed of the quartet (in my opinion). But it's interesting: I sense there's an age divide as far as Rumors and Underground are concerned. It seems to me that the younger the listener, the more likely s/he is to love these two (particularly Rumors). TOH and ALN, on the other hand, seem to have more cross-generational appeal.

I've gone from thinking that EITN had terrific single potential (when I first heard it) to believing that it should not be a single---at least not until the four above have been released first ::haha:: I still love the song, but I don't think it stands up as well to multiple playings as the other four.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

I love Rumors, maybe being in my mid twenties. I can relate I guess in my generation with smart phones, social media e.t.c. Everyone deals with your private life being public. TOH and ALN have a more cross generational effect I agree. EITN I Thought and still think hit potential, but now? I don't know Im kinda wayward, change my mind easily haha. TOH ALN, are prob probable. Although Adam did say in that interview he is thinking of EITN as next single, so what do fans know haha.
DerekMcG

Post by DerekMcG »

3ku1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:31 pm wrote:I love Rumors, maybe being in my mid twenties. I can relate I guess in my generation with smart phones, social media e.t.c. Everyone deals with your private life being public. TOH and ALN have a more cross generational effect I agree. EITN I Thought and still think hit potential, but now? I don't know Im kinda wayward, change my mind easily haha. TOH ALN, are prob probable. Although Adam did say in that interview he is thinking of EITN as next single, so what do fans know haha.
Luke: We don't really know what Adam said in that interview, and the person who reported the comment (the DJ from the iHeart concert) is a big fan of EITN. It's my hunch that the conversation went something like this:

DJ: I love EITN. Any chance of it being the next single?
Adam (not wanting to rule anything out): It's possible, but we're a long way off from deciding yet.

That was then translated as "Adam is thinking about releasing EITN as the next single." ::grin::
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

Oh yeah fair enough. I think GT is doing well in the States, Europe, and South Africa for a reason. It suits their sensibilities. I think Asia Pacific maybe more open to say a TOH or especially ALN. GT as you prob know is not catching on in NZ, in terms of radio. Although the MV is pretty popular, peaked at #13 on MTV Pop 20. I think TOH or ALN could be big if released as singles in NZ.
Love2Lurk

Post by Love2Lurk »

IMO....Adam really likes to perform EITN......

I also think....Queenbert will perform ....Lucy......

soooooo....if Queenbert performs a couple of Adam's song too.....

EITN would be an awesome combo with Lucy....

Would love to hear Queenbert perform Lucy...as well as ...EITN ::thumbup::

So wondering if maybe...either of these songs could be singles at the time of their fall tour ????? ::thinking::

just adding more of my ....2cents ::rolleyes::
[i][color=indigo][b]It is what it is !!! It ain't that deep !!!![/b][/color][/i]
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

Love2Lurk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:15 am wrote:IMO....Adam really likes to perform EITN......

I also think....Queenbert will perform ....Lucy......

soooooo....if Queenbert performs a couple of Adam's song too.....

EITN would be an awesome combo with Lucy....

Would love to hear Queenbert perform Lucy...as well as ...EITN ::thumbup::

So wondering if maybe...either of these songs could be singles at the time of their fall tour ????? ::thinking::

just adding more of my ....2cents ::rolleyes::
Much as I love LUCY, IMHO, not a chance it could be a single. Rock is not a genre that is played on pop radio and the audience Adam is trying to attract (as well as the audience radio wants) is just not into QUEEN/Brian May. That was their parents generation.

That being said, I would be really surprised if Bri & Adam do not do that song on the SA QAL gigs. And, if Adam tours...and does London...could Bri be a surprise guest at a show?
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

Some great comments on this thread! Thanks for starting it, Derek.

The writer(s) of Those Boys are likely crying that they didn't shop this song to the likes of KP or Taylor. It would have been a runaway hit..and the song of the summer..if either had recorded it. With Adam, it's a very cute number that delight HIS fans. And it will never, ever get radio play. Too bad.

IMO, based on TB and Shame being the early songs, this was the direction Adam intended the album to take. Enter Max and Shellback and the voices of experience and reason. Thank you!! They coaxed out a more introspective, quiet Adam with deep feelings that he was able to translate into some very meaningful work. ::clap::

I loved both FYI and TP....but TOH far exceeds both of those from an artistic POV. I truly believe that another album of the same club music would have been a major disaster....and maybe his last album. Perhaps RCA thought that also, but didn't have the vision or understanding of how to change it...therefore they took the easy way offering up an 80's cover. Lucky for Adam and for us!

Next single from this gem of an album? Adam will probably want EITN, but saner voices will prevail and it will be TOH or ALN. Just imho, ofc.
Love2Lurk

Post by Love2Lurk »

I agree Vista....EITN....ALN....or....TOH....will prolly be the next single ::flowers::

However....I would love for Adam's team to take a brave chance....

and...release TB as a single....However...I agree ....TB will not be a single......

I really think though...at some point.....Lucy will be release as a single...

Maybe only in the UK....I think Brian will push for this....

I could be wrong though ::haha:: ::rolleyes::
[i][color=indigo][b]It is what it is !!! It ain't that deep !!!![/b][/color][/i]
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

Sorry I really like Lucy, it really is Adam at his best with the growling vocals over a guitar lead vocal. But their is no chance in hell that Lucy well EVER be a radio single. Adam wants to be a Top 40 Mainstream Pop Star. I don't even think Lucy would get airplay on the rock stations. Just not the demographic Adam is looking to target, which is mainly 18-35. His core fans well always be their, I am not generalizing. He has fans from 0-100, I am just saying he prob needs to target younger fans, when it comes to his singles. I'm still a big advocate for ALN, I reckon that would blow up. Its the second most streamed song on Spotify, nearing a million plays. I think it wold do well as would TOH in NZ. Honestly I don't know at this point, probablity is its TOH, but who knows what Adam is thinking at this point. And he clearly wants Ghost Town to be a hit, so second single well prob won't even be an issue to prob September at least. GT could still crack Top 20 BB Hot 100, it's gaining traction every day. And some songs take a year to reach its peak. GT has done what no single on TP did, the freedom to expeirement and choose future singles. I really want too see the next MV, Adams creativity has no limit and deserves a life.
donnamb

Post by donnamb »

I should be the age bracket/demographic to like Lucy, but I just don't. The lyrics do nothing for me, although once Brian's guitar solo kicks in and Adam gets to wail away on the back side of it, the song improves greatly.
I think TOH will be the next single, with Rumors waiting in the wings. I could hear Things I Didn't Say - that chorus is damned infectious. And I love The Light - the vocals are spot on and the electronic effects are ear worms - think a couple of years back with La Roux (spelling?) Bulletproof or Icona Pop's I Don't Care. You just heard those songs once and knew that you were going to hear them many many many more times.
Love2Lurk

Post by Love2Lurk »

I really like ...Lucy too ::flowers::

Don't think it will be the next single....Adam & his team want a few Adam solo songs released first.....

However....At some point I think...with Brian's push Lucy will be released as a single.....

Brian is a major name in the music business.....currently Queen's music is everywhere here USA....a rebirth....due to Queenbert...IMO ::thumbup::

Brian May is a major player in the music world.....
Radio & media will be all over ....Lucy.....when it is release ...

I could be very wrong.....but I think Brian wanted to be included on Adam's album for a reason ::smile::

Time will tell ::flowers::

3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

I don't think Brian really cares about Lucy being released as a single. He just wanted to be on the album. I don't think Lucy is a radio single, if that makes sense anyway. The Light and Thing's I diddn't say yes I agree, are just one of those songs you can imagine being played over and over. I think TOH is prepared, and then Rumors.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

donnamb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:27 pm wrote:I should be the age bracket/demographic to like Lucy, but I just don't. The lyrics do nothing for me, although once Brian's guitar solo kicks in and Adam gets to wail away on the back side of it, the song improves greatly.
I think TOH will be the next single, with Rumors waiting in the wings. I could hear Things I Didn't Say - that chorus is damned infectious. And I love The Light - the vocals are spot on and the electronic effects are ear worms - think a couple of years back with La Roux (spelling?) Bulletproof or Icona Pop's I Don't Care. You just heard those songs once and knew that you were going to hear them many many many more times.
Well to be fair its about a young girl getting into trouble haha, so maybe you prob woulden't relate to the lyrics, nor would I. I agree the Light reminds me of Icona's Pop I don't care. The Light could be a future radio single. I love Thing's I diddn't say one of my favs on the album.
Love2Lurk

Post by Love2Lurk »

donnamb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:27 pm wrote:I should be the age bracket/demographic to like Lucy, but I just don't. The lyrics do nothing for me, although once Brian's guitar solo kicks in and Adam gets to wail away on the back side of it, the song improves greatly.

Lucy is not my fav.....the lyrics are sort of dated to me ::rolleyes::

I do love Brian's guitar & Adam's vocals tho !!! ::thumbup::

If & when Queenbert performs Lucy....it will take on a different sound !!!
Can't wait for that !!! ::thumbsup::

I do think the next single will be either ....TOH or EITN.....

and yes at some point .....Rumors ::thumbup::

Even if it just in the UK....I think Lucy will be released too....

We shall see ::flowers::
Moved from The Lesser Used Threads to 2015 Adam Music on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:41 pm by madamimadam

Return to “2015 Adam Music”