***Have-At-It Never-Ending Gabfest***

This is where everything is happening in real time!!!!
svca

Post by svca »

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYyxBrTx-bE[/bbvideo]

Testing Testing

OMG, it actually worked...yay me !!!

The video is Conchita singing Purple Rain in honor of Prince....she's on tour right now in Europe. I thought she did an awesome job. She's the 2014 Eurovision winner, an Austrian drag artist. Her voice isn't like Adam's, but when she hits it out of the park, I can't stop listening to her. She's had several songs where she was just fantastic and I just love her first album.

I know this song is going to be sung a lot right now, but I'm really enjoying the different versions and everybody's take on it.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

bebeg » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:26 pm wrote:
svca » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:44 pm wrote:The really sad thing is, all these music icons are dying and there is nobody to replace them (besides Adam of course). Are we counting on idiot Bieber to fill MJ's, Prince's, or Bowie's shoes?

Good luck with that.

::cryblownose:: ::cryblownose::
I believe that there won't be many artists to fill those shoes. I don't think this level of iconic fame and influence will be reached with future artists. That level where an artist touches generations, influences other artists, where their death causes worldwide 'where were you when you heard' moments.

I'm not saying that there aren't and won't be artists talented enough to reach that level. There are and there always will be. But things have changed. We listen to music differently. We buy (if we buy) music differently. Artists will always have their die-hard fans who will buy and support everything they do. But as a whole I don't believe the public is investing in an artist's career the way it did in the past.

I think that's because in the past we heard our music first on the radio and we were limited in the number of artists we could hear and, in turn, invest in. Now, the world of music is huge because of the internet. We can hear and watch anyone who's making music. I also think the fact that people aren't buying albums like they used to and instead buying singles means that people aren't interested in getting deep into an artist's career.

Does that make any sense? I'm not sure I put my thoughts into words in a way that makes sense. ::haha::
Yep your right. The music world has changed. But I beleive call me biast. Hardcore fans well buy albums. But the masses? Your right. I believe Adam could be an exception.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

Happy Passover to all who celebrate it!
"It is what it is!"
bebeg

Post by bebeg »

I just checked out the iTunes charts. I've never seen anything like it. Of the top 50 singles, 41 our Prince songs. And then it continues down the chart, songs in the 60's, 70's..... And he has 19 of the top 30 albums.

Wow!!!
Carmi

Post by Carmi »

Prince's death has brought up so many food for thought articles everywhere you looked on line today. Such out pouring of strong emotions and disbelief abounded. Many, such as myself, are still trying to process Bowie, and wham! Another shot to the heart and a youth shaped by him as well as Prince gets shaken. I will always be grateful to have lived through both these artists time. Because of these two men, is one of the many reasons that I, and many other women of a certain age imo, were floored when Adam hit the scene on AI. We older people KNEW great music. We saw in Adam the resurgence of someone different, talented, free spirited and an original. He was a breath of fresh air in a 20 year + stodgy music scene.

I agree with Bebeg on so much of her post. Who is up and coming that can, not replace, but be a new exciting Prince or Bowie? No one even remotely is out there doing ground breaking art. Sorry, not even Gaga. And she "was" pretty out there for a time.

imo, Adam had and has the potential to fill that void of creativity. His pre AI songs that he wrote and did on garage band in his cockroach infested studio apartment are the ones I truly love by him. The songs imo are sensational, free spirited and unabashedly HIM.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but please indulge me for a moment....

When he came off AI and was signed to RCA, imo, they didn't have a clue what to do with him. He burned so bright with limitless potential, that I was giddy with delight to hear his first album. I was expecting songs in the vein of, Glamorize, Pop Pop Goes The Camera, Kiss And Tell. I WANTED my new Bowie or Prince unicorn magic music man. Not that I was totally bummed out by FYE. I wasn't at all. But he had worked with producers provided by AI that didn't exactly ~get him. I expected more out there material.

So where was RCA's disconnect? Was his sexuality, which was I'm sure a foreign concept to them at the time that an out and proud gay man could be profitable the problem? Did they not want to nurture his career? Were they too afraid to? They had such a talent on their hands that could have made them millions, in the very same way that Prince did when he was signed to Warner. Where did the courage of record companies go? When did it all become about a product to make money for the shareholders and be damn to new talent? When music is reduced to profits for the fat cats, we, the public suffer by it. And we backlash by not buying their tripe of what THEY think WE like.

Interesting that Prince and Bowie both danced around their own sexuality. Bowie said he was bi. It is well documented. But being bi and announcing it was okay because he had a wife Angie and a son Zowie. The Mick ~thing was swept under the proverbial carpet. Prince always left his sexuality a blur. But everyone knew that he was a ladies man and that made him okay too for public consumption. Adam, who is the only honest and genuine real deal out gay man suffers for being forthright in being his authentic self. imo, RCA lost such a great opportunity to really come into the 21st century and embrace a wave of change. I am glad that WBR does not seem to have an issue with it. But having said that, seven years is a long time that Adam and the music world had to wait.

I know that Adam is going for mass appeal and wants a hit on radio. I understand that. I hope and pray probably more than I should ::haha:: that he gets his dreams fulfilled. I want nothing more than him to realize that dream. But, if radio in U S continues to snub him. And if even Max M couldn't get him a top 10 hit, I believe with my whole being that he will always be a very successful niche touring artist. He will always have a following as Prince and Bowie did. They were not on U S radio for years and still had great success. As does Lenny K.

Well, sorry for the word vomit. Major events such as Prince's death make me wordy. Thanks for listening and peace to all. ::flowers::
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

Carmi » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:57 pm wrote:Prince's death has brought up so many food for thought articles everywhere you looked on line today. Such out pouring of strong emotions and disbelief abounded. Many, such as myself, are still trying to process Bowie, and wham! Another shot to the heart and a youth shaped by him as well as Prince gets shaken. I will always be grateful to have lived through both these artists time. Because of these two men, is one of the many reasons that I, and many other women of a certain age imo, were floored when Adam hit the scene on AI. We older people KNEW great music. We saw in Adam the resurgence of someone different, talented, free spirited and an original. He was a breath of fresh air in a 20 year + stodgy music scene.

I agree with Bebeg on so much of her post. Who is up and coming that can, not replace, but be a new exciting Prince or Bowie? No one even remotely is out there doing ground breaking art. Sorry, not even Gaga. And she "was" pretty out there for a time.

imo, Adam had and has the potential to fill that void of creativity. His pre AI songs that he wrote and did on garage band in his cockroach infested studio apartment are the ones I truly love by him. The songs imo are sensational, free spirited and unabashedly HIM.

When he came off AI and was signed to RCA, imo, they didn't have a clue what to do with him. He burned so bright with limitless potential, that I was giddy with delight to hear his first album. I was expecting songs in the vein of, Glamorize, Pop Pop Goes The Camera, Kiss And Tell. I WANTED my new Bowie or Prince unicorn magic music man. Not that I was totally bummed out by FYE. I wasn't at all. But he had worked with producers provided by AI that didn't exactly ~get him. I expected more out there material.

So where was RCA's disconnect? Was his sexuality, which was I'm sure a foreign concept to them at the time that an out and proud gay man could be profitable the problem? Did they not want to nurture his career? Were they too afraid to? They had such a talent on their hands that could have made them millions, in the very same way that Prince did when he was signed to Warner. Where did the courage of record companies go? When did it all become about a product to make money for the shareholders and be damn to new talent? When music is reduced to profits for the fat cats, we, the public suffer by it. And we backlash by not buying their tripe of what THEY think WE like.

Interesting that Prince and Bowie both danced around their own sexuality. Bowie said he was bi. It is well documented. But being bi and announcing it was okay because he had a wife Angie and a son Zowie. The Mick ~thing was swept under the proverbial carpet. Prince always left his sexuality a blur. But everyone knew that he was a ladies man and that made him okay too for public consumption. Adam, who is the only honest and genuine real deal out gay man suffers for being forthright in being his authentic self. imo, RCA lost such a great opportunity to really come into the 21st century and embrace a wave of change. I am glad that WBR does not seem to have an issue with it. But having said that, seven years is a long time that Adam and the music world had to wait.

I know that Adam is going for mass appeal and wants a hit on radio. I understand that. I hope and pray probably more than I should ::haha:: that he gets his dreams fulfilled. I want nothing more than him to realize that dream. But, if radio in U S continues to snub him. And if even Max M couldn't get him a top 10 hit, I believe with my whole being that he will always be a very successful niche touring artist. He will always have a following as Prince and Bowie did. They were not on U S radio for years and still had great success. As does Lenny K.

Well, sorry for the word vomit. Major events such as Prince's death make me wordy. Thanks for listening and peace to all. ::flowers::
Like Adam Said the gatekeepers decide. Pronouns too. Most of Adams pre idol.stuff was demos of other ppls music. Adam said he has now has all the freedom to do his own thing. Imsure if Adam wanted to.do.That stuff he would still be in Motley Crue. Or background singer in Wickeedd. Alot of that stuff isnt commercial lol. But anyway. Times have changed. In a pc gone mad world. Creative freedom is rare. Thes days theirs so many variety in choices. So many types of music and artists. Even the big names are bunched together. Theirs not a Elvis, Mj, Prince etc who stand out. Sign of the times unfortunately. I.always thought Adam was born in the wrong era. If this wss the 70s where Glam Rock was king. Like Adam Ant, Freddie, Bowie etc. Adam would be the biggest music star on the planet. But alas its the world we live in.
Carmi

Post by Carmi »

3ku1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:33 am wrote:
Carmi » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:57 pm wrote:Prince's death has brought up so many food for thought articles everywhere you looked on line today. Such out pouring of strong emotions and disbelief abounded. Many, such as myself, are still trying to process Bowie, and wham! Another shot to the heart and a youth shaped by him as well as Prince gets shaken. I will always be grateful to have lived through both these artists time. Because of these two men, is one of the many reasons that I, and many other women of a certain age imo, were floored when Adam hit the scene on AI. We older people KNEW great music. We saw in Adam the resurgence of someone different, talented, free spirited and an original. He was a breath of fresh air in a 20 year + stodgy music scene.

Like Adam Said the gatekeepers decide. Pronouns too. Most of Adams pre idol.stuff was demos of other ppls music. Adam said he has now has all the freedom to do his own thing. Imsure if Adam wanted to.do.That stuff he would still be in Motley Crue. Or background singer in Wickeedd. Alot of that stuff isnt commercial lol. But anyway. Times have changed. In a pc gone mad world. Creative freedom is rare. Thes days theirs so many variety in choices. So many types of music and artists. Even the big names are bunched together. Theirs not a Elvis, Mj, Prince etc who stand out. Sign of the times unfortunately. I.always thought Adam was born in the wrong era. If this wss the 70s where Glam Rock was king. Like Adam Ant, Freddie, Bowie etc. Adam would be the biggest music star on the planet. But alas its the world we live in.

I hear what you are saying, but Glamorize, Kiss And Tell and Pop Pop goes The Camera were NOT demos for other people. They were HIS creations. That's what I'm talking about. His stuff. That's what I wanted. The closest we got to that on FYE was Rabbit Hole where he just free winged the lyrics. I thought it was an awesome song. Apparently he realized that the fans liked it too and he included it on GNT. It was a bonus track from UK edition. You had to search it out to purchase it.

When was he in Motley Cru? What did I miss? ::whut:: And how can you say that stuff wasn't commercial? It was never available for sale. So how can you know that?

I agree. Times are too PC now. It stifles so many things in society. Someone somewhere is always offended about something. We have taken too far of a step back as a society with all the hand wringing over ridiculous stuff.

You are making my point for me by bringing up Adam Ant, Freddie and Bowie. Adam was clearly a throwback to the glam rock era. It was plain to see that in him. Velvet Goldmine anyone? lol Thus why I said that RCA could have cultivated that aspect of him and brought the 70's back with a flourish. It was a golden opportunity imo for them to have a real live talented singer and showman that could have brought it all back to the masses again. They didn't for whatever reason. It is that "reason" that I would love to have explained to me. Was every executive at RCA that short sighted? Did no one there see the potential? imo, at that time Gaga was all theatrical and Adam could have been the male theatrical smash breakout too. (no, I don't think he was the male Gaga at all. He was Adam and that's all he needed to be)

Yes, Adam has spoken of the gatekeepers recently. Well, just because there are gatekeepers that exist does not mean that they are right and make good decisions. I would love a brave gatekeeper to rip the music industry on its ass and embrace male pronouns for gay men in the industry. The time has come imo. We here in U S have equal marriage in all 50 states. Really kind of dumb and lazy to ignore that fact and not have it reflected in music on our radios. Makes no sense to me at all. Just embrace it already. And it is just not gay men that I feel should be able to use the appropriate pronouns. There are gay (lesbian) artists that should be able to sing she, her too. Equality across the board.

I know Adam has said that he has a lot of freedom to create. But is he really free if he can't use male pronouns? Something to think about.
3ku1

Post by 3ku1 »

Carmi » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:32 am wrote:
3ku1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:33 am wrote:

I hear what you are saying, but Glamorize, Kiss And Tell and Pop Pop goes The Camera were NOT demos for other people. They were HIS creations. That's what I'm talking about. His stuff. That's what I wanted. The closest we got to that on FYE was Rabbit Hole where he just free winged the lyrics. I thought it was an awesome song. Apparently he realized that the fans liked it too and he included it on GNT. It was a bonus track from UK edition. You had to search it out to purchase it.

When was he in Motley Cru? What did I miss? ::whut:: And how can you say that stuff wasn't commercial? It was never available for sale. So how can you know that?

I agree. Times are too PC now. It stifles so many things in society. Someone somewhere is always offended about something. We have taken too far of a step back as a society with all the hand wringing over ridiculous stuff.

You are making my point for me by bringing up Adam Ant, Freddie and Bowie. Adam was clearly a throwback to the glam rock era. It was plain to see that in him. Velvet Goldmine anyone? lol Thus why I said that RCA could have cultivated that aspect of him and brought the 70's back with a flourish. It was a golden opportunity imo for them to have a real live talented singer and showman that could have brought it all back to the masses again. They didn't for whatever reason. It is that "reason" that I would love to have explained to me. Was every executive at RCA that short sighted? Did no one there see the potential? imo, at that time Gaga was all theatrical and Adam could have been the male theatrical smash breakout too. (no, I don't think he was the male Gaga at all. He was Adam and that's all he needed to be)

Yes, Adam has spoken of the gatekeepers recently. Well, just because there are gatekeepers that exist does not mean that they are right and make good decisions. I would love a brave gatekeeper to rip the music industry on its ass and embrace male pronouns for gay men in the industry. The time has come imo. We here in U S have equal marriage in all 50 states. Really kind of dumb and lazy to ignore that fact and not have it reflected in music on our radios. Makes no sense to me at all. Just embrace it already. And it is just not gay men that I feel should be able to use the appropriate pronouns. There are gay (lesbian) artists that should be able to sing she, her too. Equality across the board.

I know Adam has said that he has a lot of freedom to create. But is he really free if he can't use male pronouns? Something to think about.
Well technically he has done two.full studio albums on his own terms. So that was him. He did say when he wrote Toh. He was trying to go bk to his life before idol. Sorry I meant Citizen Vein lol. Unfortunately in a commercial age. Your some what limited. Who knows maybe Wbr well allow him full creative freedom on album #4. I thought Gt was a step in the right direction. But then you got to remember Adam was prob experimenting a lot before he was famous. But now? More complicated. What fits on radio etc. Well see what happens. Its not like his music is bad. He got a Grammy nom with Wwfm. He immediately became a international star in 2010. So I dont think it would make a difference. I dont think he would be anymore popular then he is now. Hes a weird theatre kid doing a pop thing.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Prince had a huge impact. I think the music world will be feeling this one for a long time. Personally, I remember the first time I ever saw him. He was on Solid Gold, singing 1999, and I remember that he threw his guitar, and I was like, ::shock:: He was my little sister's first celebrity crush. And you know what, his music is timeless. Even now, I can listen to his Greatest Hits album, and love every single song, even though some of the songs are 30+ years old.
August 26, 2009. June 18, 2010. July 12, 2014. March 25, 2016. July 20, 2017.
madamimadam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by madamimadam »

Off to the second seder (Passover)... I'll update when I get back... if I'm not too drunk! If I am, expect strange posts! ::crylaugh::
"It is what it is!"
Tiki
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Tiki »

CBC News Alerts ‏@CBCAlerts 7m7 minutes ago
Publicist says #Prince's remains have been cremated and a celebration of the musician's life has been held.

Lÿndsey Parker Retweeted
Ned Raggett ‏@NedRaggett 1h1 hour ago
Amazing set of Prince anecdotes from musicians/industry folks here via @lyndseyparker -- read this ASAP.

Purple Prose: Entertainment Industry Insiders Write About Encountering Prince

Prince left an indelible impression on everyone he met, whether it was a random encounter at a club, party, or recording studio, or a friendship that spanned decades. Here, Yahoo Music offers some tributes from his friends, colleagues, and distant admirers, ranging from genuinely touching to downright hilarious.
Paula

Post by Paula »

A girl that I used to take dance with from my hometown (who, ironically, worked with Adam in Hair! overseas, and is a friend of his as well) danced for Prince in the 90's. She did an interview, sharing her memories for CBC Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/m ... -1.3547342
bebeg

Post by bebeg »

Tiki » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:25 pm wrote:CBC News Alerts ‏@CBCAlerts 7m7 minutes ago
Publicist says #Prince's remains have been cremated and a celebration of the musician's life has been held.

Lÿndsey Parker Retweeted
Amazing set of Prince anecdotes from musicians/industry folks here via @lyndseyparker -- read this ASAP.

Prince left an indelible impression on everyone he met, whether it was a random encounter at a club, party, or recording studio, or a friendship that spanned decades. Here, Yahoo Music offers some tributes from his friends, colleagues, and distant admirers, ranging from genuinely touching to downright hilarious.
Here's the link to that article Lyndsey retweeted...

https://www.yahoo.com/music/purple-pros ... 39527.html

They are great stories and memories. I've been loving reading all these memories from people who worked with him or met him. Here's a funny and great one from Questlove of The Roots.....

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/prin ... ium=social
Tiki
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Tiki »

bebeg » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:02 pm wrote:
Tiki » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:25 pm wrote:CBC News Alerts ‏@CBCAlerts 7m7 minutes ago

Lÿndsey Parker Retweeted

Here's the link to that article Lyndsey retweeted...

https://www.yahoo.com/music/purple-pros ... 39527.html

They are great stories and memories. I've been loving reading all these memories from people who worked with him or met him. Here's a funny and great one from Questlove of The Roots.....

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/prin ... ium=social
Thank you Bebeg for posting the link. ::flowers::
By the time I got all the info from the tweet that was boxed I totally forgot the link. ::duh::
Carmi

Post by Carmi »

Blue Man Group is the latest act to cancel their shows in North Carolina. ::yessss:: They are awesome. Saw them in Vegas. Really hope the governor addresses this issue soon. The state is taking a huge economic hit from all this. Not fair to the good people that live there. ::no::
Paula

Post by Paula »

Carmi » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:19 pm wrote:Blue Man Group is the latest act to cancel their shows in North Carolina. ::yessss:: They are awesome. Saw them in Vegas. Really hope the governor addresses this issue soon. The state is taking a huge economic hit from all this. Not fair to the good people that live there. ::no::
GOOD. I wish people would do the same in Mississippi too, where LGBT people could be denied services, by people don't want to serve them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/15/us/mi ... .html?_r=0
Sabine

Post by Sabine »

Prince's body is secretly cremated after being released to his family as heartbroken friends gather for intimate memorial service

His friends and family handed out purple gift boxes to the fans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z46jewmzyt

From TMZ

A rep for Prince tells TMZ, "A few hours ago, Prince was celebrated by a small group of his most beloved: family, friends and his musicians, in a private, beautiful ceremony to say a loving goodbye. Prince's remains have been cremated and their final storage will remain private.

We ask for your blessings and prayers of comfort for his family and close friends at this time. The cause of death remains unknown and it will be at least four weeks before we receive the results of the autopsy. An announcement will be made at a future date for a musical celebration."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz46jf9utcn

I am impressed that his family handled this with so much class and privately and without any media spectacle. He was a very private person and I am happy that he was shown respect.

A "musical celebration" sounds great.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Sabine » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:48 am wrote:Prince's body is secretly cremated after being released to his family as heartbroken friends gather for intimate memorial service

His friends and family handed out purple gift boxes to the fans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z46jewmzyt

From TMZ

A rep for Prince tells TMZ, "A few hours ago, Prince was celebrated by a small group of his most beloved: family, friends and his musicians, in a private, beautiful ceremony to say a loving goodbye. Prince's remains have been cremated and their final storage will remain private.

We ask for your blessings and prayers of comfort for his family and close friends at this time. The cause of death remains unknown and it will be at least four weeks before we receive the results of the autopsy. An announcement will be made at a future date for a musical celebration."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz46jf9utcn

I am impressed that his family handled this with so much class and privately and without any media spectacle. He was a very private person and I am happy that he was shown respect.

A "musical celebration" sounds great.
I'm still in shock that he's gone. It doesn't seem real. My sister & I went to Pizza Hut last night for dinner, and I THINK the radio station in there that they were listening to, was doing a celebration of Prince's life. I heard at LEAST three Prince songs, and about 4 or 5 that he'd written for other people. All in a row.
bebeg

Post by bebeg »

How thoughtful of his family to hand out those gift boxes. I read last night that there was a t-shirt and a program/picture book in each box. It's nice for that community. They've respected him and his privacy and have been very proud that he was their neighbor.

SNL devoted their entire show to Prince last night, calling it 'Goodnight Sweet Prince'.

Springsteen opened his concert last night with Purple Rain...

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkOxeKA2WNE[/bbvideo]
Tiki
MTT Mod
MTT Mod

Post by Tiki »

fI just found this tweet from Lady Gaga. Beautiful

Lady Gaga ‏@ladygaga 5h5 hours ago
I tend to believe that when we die our souls hover for at least a moment if not longer before…

ladygaga
I tend to believe that when we die our souls hover for at least a moment if not longer before they either rest or are recycled into the consciousness of an already living being or maybe a newborn baby. Isn't it amazing Prince shared his soul with us so deeply before his death, and now after we will be replenished endlessly by both his legacy and all that he still has to give from the beyond. Thank you for sharing your life with us Prince. Giving up your anonymity because you felt compelled to share your gift. We learned so much. You just found God early, he needed you upstairs to innovate in heaven.

Return to “Let's Talk!”