'vampfever' date='Jul 18th 2014, 12:21 PM'

Somebody to Love
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

2014-07-17 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

Post by vistadiva »

'sealuv' date='Jul 18th 2014, 12:35 PM'

another review...Brian, Roger, Adam and Freddie Take NYC By Storm.

http://mrsmbitsko.com/2014/07/18/brian-rog...e-nyc-by-storm/

(hope hasn't been posted already)
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vampfever' date='Jul 18th 2014, 1:17 PM'

Pic from backstage
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vampfever' date='Jul 18th 2014, 12:50 PM'

The end of the show, in all of its glory :D (Ok, not the closest view in this one lol)
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vampfever' date='Jul 18th 2014, 1:24 PM'

Lilybop @lilybop2010
NYC Adam Lambert Ride GIFS

More here:
http://lilybop.smugmug.com/Other-31/MSG/42...9&k=w3dBbv5
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'sealuv' date='Jul 18th 2014, 1:28 PM'

James Edstrom ‏@JAMESEDSTROM 5h
#queen #adamlambert Times Square Gossip: QUEEN IS THE PERFECT VEHICLE FOR ADAM LAMBERT http://www.timessquaregossip.com/2014/07/q...m.html?spref=tw
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vampfever' date='Jul 18th 2014, 2:15 PM'

bluejupiterband
1 hour ago · Madison Square Garden

Queen + Adam Lambert blew us away. Here's our review of the night. Probably most of us are thinking "well, it's our last chance to see some of the members of Queen...don't screw this up for us Glambert!" On the contrary, Adam Lambert was STELLAR. High notes fall out of his mouth with ease, he's charming & zany and dare I say...reminiscent of Freddie. High part of the concert: "Who wants to Live Forever". Truly wonderful to hear some of the most favorite guitar licks played live by Brian May, and Roger Taylor still has his drum chops. Smart move to bring in his younger heartthrob son, Rufus Taylor. Last song...Lambert enters in a leopard suit and a crown bedazzled in jewels. We all want to be him when we grow up. #Queen #QueenForever #QueenMSG #AdamLambert #AmericanIdol #wearethechampions #acappella #bluejupiter #wewillrockyou #follow #HappyFriday @bluejupiterband
http://instagram.com/p/qmZa67r8U4/

Check out the all the people at the top. Great crowd pic.
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'bebeg' date='Jul 18th 2014, 2:32 PM'

Love his comment --

reevecarney
Shady characters... ;) Backstage last night at MSG. Aside from being a human with one of the most generous spirits I know, @AdamLambert sang his FACE off last night!! Kudos to you brother...

vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 18th 2014, 4:20 PM'

WARNING: Long recap below :D

Here I am on the other side of the evening I've been anticipating for a long time.

Those that know me know I'm no Adam concert virgin...so I'm gonna give you a recap and comparision. WARNING: I am from NJ, therefore a New Yorker by injection. I promise that won't color my opinions :teehee:

I :wub: NY...but I also :'( get pissed off at some of the entitlement the city has. But, let's face it..MSG!!! Holy Momma. This is the big one. And the joy and reverence that Bri and Adam tweeted out prior to the show made me hope that it would be everything they (and I) wanted it to be for them.

My opening show was Chicago. Not wanting to miss the first one, I hopped a plane for the one night excursion. It was beautiful..unspoiled by vids or pictures..my expectations were more than met. In retrospect, Chicago being the first show was perhaps a bit tentative. They were feeling their way and had no conception of what the audience and critics would think. Therefore some caution prevailed on stage.

On to Vegas...a much smaller venue. Two nights of very intimate performances. A crowd dominated by Glamberts (as Chicago was dominated by more Queenies). But, fresh off rave reviews from Chicago and 7 shows in Canada and California, the boys were high on success and full of piss. Adam leaned over the stage on the first night, smiled at what he knew were his fans, and said "Guys!! I'm on stage with Queen!! And I'm still geeking out". And by Vegas, we could tell that Bri & Roger had given Adam the ball and let him run with it. All that Lambert cheeky charisma was on full display. Of course, as expected, the vocals were full on point.
Lucky to be able to see both nights, I chose completely different vantage points. Night one was dead center 3rd row floor. Night 2 we shared a VIP box suite (where I helped Marie with her stream.) I truly enjoyed both spots. This venue has one of the very best sound systems I have ever heard. The acoustics were worthy of the MET. OFC, we all want to be close enough to look into his eyes...but seeing the full-on production needs a further away view. So, back home I went, declaring Vegas a huge success...an opinion borne out by the Vegas reviews.

Philadelphia!! FINALLY a venue I could drive to...! No more airport security lines!! We had floor VIP tix and lucked into being in the front row aisle side, right next to the catwalk. What a totally different perspective. Too tempting not to tweet all those photos for you guys! He was gorgeous, the sound was exceptional, security was lovely and cooperative..even retrieving Tennis Lover's thrown bra when it missed the stage. Then they gave it back to her to throw again! AND! they let us stand and lean on the fence in front of the stage!! I wanna take them with me to every venue!! Brian was charming..smiling at us and playing straight man (no pun intended!!) to Adam's crazy ass! LOVED this show because of the perspective. BUT, very clearly to me, Adam was holding it back. He was def saving that voice for NYC. His eyes were stunning and staring into them from that close was mesmerizing. Hips and a$$ and lips and eyes...hot dammmmm!
The crowd was perhaps a bit quiet in the beginning, but did warm up. I saw a lot of sitting bodies..much to my surprise. But they did applaud warmly, if not particularly loudly.

Good Morning New York!! Adam & Brian's tweets made me teary-eyed knowing how much this meant to both of them. The Big Kahuna!! If you can make it there....(thanks, Liza). My thoughts were hopes for a great concert...but even more, a great welcome from the NY crowd. NYC can be cold, unforgiving and even dismissive. But it can be warm, enveloping and magnetic. I prayed for the latter for the boys. Because I am such a brave soul...and a good momma, I brought my grown son to this show. He always liked Queen and enjoyed Adam on Idol, but sort of dismissed him after the notorious AMA's (yeah..guy haz a long memory :haha: :haha: ). He thinks his mother's obsession is better than gambling, but worse than being "normal".

So, I decided to be cool, not tweet too much, and let him enjoy. The rules were 1. If you love it, we'll talk all the way home. 2. If you don't like Adam, stfu. Ofc, running into many of my Glam friends in the outer areas and greeting & being greeted with hugs and conversation did not help increase the "normal" conception. Probably made him think "my mother is waaaay weirder than I thought. Who knows so many people in the halls at a concert?" :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

View for this show a bit different..1st level section, close to stage, but higher up. Great view of the entire production and laser show....and great overview of the audience.

Let me add here, that MSG has recently been redone & refurbished. It is perhaps the most beautiful venue I have ever been to. The cleanest, most organized showplace. From the discreet, well placed signage for sections and rows to the polished floors...from the immaculate refreshment stands to the comfortable theater type padded seats (WITH cupholders) to the polite friendly ushers and security staffs, they have their $$hit together. No wonder Billy Joel made this place home every Wednesday for forever!

The crowd was into it even before the curtain went "down". Cheering and clapping when lighting & smoke were tested. I wondered if they could hear the crowd from their dressing rooms..and how that must have felt to them. I got a little chill, thinking "NYC, bring it for Queen & Adam".

I had no cause for worry. From the first note of the intro, the crowd was cheering and on their feet. When Adam appeared strutting from the "Q" onto the stage for Now I'm Here, the noise surge was palatable. The crowd stood almost the entire show (some sitting during the portion Adam was off stage). There was so much singing, cheering, clapping and arm waving!! The responses for STL, WWTLF, TSMGO were loud and long. The call backs for "just gimme that luv" were so much fun...the crowd was really into it..and Adam fed off the crowd. He ran back & forth on the catwalk and up both sets of stairs encouraging the audience. He was having as much fun as we were. Brian & Roger??? Just the biggest grins ever!

And the crowd still on their feet cheering & applauding.

The ovation given to Brian when he walked to the end of the catwalk for LOML brought many people around me to tears. NYC!! I :wub: you!! You stood up and cheered for an iconic Rock God. You threw off the "cold New Yorker" cape and warmed that man's heart until the tears flowed down his face for everyone to see on the big "Q". And no one deserved it more.

And this was an equal opportunity crowd! Roger also got a good ovation. But, perhaps the most heart-warming and thrilling (for me)..Brian asking the crowd what they thought of the new guy. A FREAKING STANDING CHEERING OVATION for Adam was NYC's answer.

No, it wasn't ALL perfect. From the beginning, the sound was cranked up way too loud. It took Adam a song or 2 to calm down the adrenaline rush he was feeling. It was though the boys had a pow-wow before the show.

Brian: IT's MSG, we gotta bring it to the people
Roger: Yeah, maybe we should be louder and more intense
Adam: Yeah, I think I need to be crazier, dance harder, run around more and curse a lot"
Sound Guys: Let's turn it up

There were moments when it appeared Adam's earpeice wasn't working for him. And those who mentioned it...you're right...the sound (especially in the last half of the show) was almost tinny in parts..Adam on helium!

BUT...where it really matters, where it really mattered to Adam & Bri & Roger...this show was a restounding success. The crowd loved it and just blew the roof off the Garden. QAL was very much loved and appreciated by NYC. And the boys could see it the entire show. Just watch their faces on the vids.

And one last touching moment...and I hope it's on vids for you all to see. Taking their bows, Bri & Roger pulled Adam forward with them. He deftly escaped their grasp and ran stage right where he bowed to them and gestured to the audience to applaud them. He is one class act, our boy. Yes he is!
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vampfever' date='Jul 18th 2014, 4:45 PM'

Great review, thanks for taking the time to do this :) It sounds like you had pretty much the same experience that I did. I noticed that about his voice too, but someone told me that after being at concert for awhile, it messes up your base perception if you are in the audience. Did anyone notice if the same thing happens on video?
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'lizziek' date='Jul 18th 2014, 5:22 PM'

Just watched some great videos from Jadell"s list. Has the whole show and many are close and clear. Here is the link to the videos.

Youtube Playlist Queen and Adam Lambert, MSG, New York, July 17, 2014 by jadelle11... http://fb.me/6J5dlLIKw
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'sherrie' date='Jul 18th 2014, 5:50 PM'

I did notice on the stream last night that on some of the more uptempo songs that Adam's voice sometimes had a shrill sound to it...it made me cringe hoping that people weren't hearing the same thing in the venue. I've seen Adam twice, first time on the Glamnation tour and he actually did not sound good at all, his voice was thin and tinny and then I saw him at an outdoor venue and his voice was absolutely glorious as it filled the night air. I do think the venue and sometimes even where you are in the venue has a lot to do with the ultimate sound, but you think they could get it right at MSG. I sometimes wonder if it's the high notes that Adam hits that don't play well in some of the venues. At any rate, he sounded a little manic on the first couple of songs but then he settled nicely into the pocket....JMO. As far as the reviewers go, seems they never stay even until the first costume change and in my opinion some of the first few songs are the weakest in the set.
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'adamazing' date='Jul 18th 2014, 5:08 PM'

Great review Vista! What did you son say? Was he as impressed as we all were?

I haven't noticed any of the helium tinny sound on the videos vampfever, but I had to work today. :(

I'll inspect them closer tonight.
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 18th 2014, 6:38 PM'

My son really enjoyed the concert. He stood for almost all of it and took a lot of videos. He thought Adam had "incredible pipes" and loved that Brian could still play as in the old days. He did say he thought there were songs he wished they played...Play The Game, Bicycle Race, DSMN. Is he a Glambert now?? NEVER happen.
Does he get what mom's obsession is fueled by? Yes, I think so. All in all, I'm glad I took him..but I think he's more excited about our upcoming Eagles & Aerosmith & Heart concerts...and Billy Joel.
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'sunrise123' date='Jul 18th 2014, 6:42 PM'

It was real.................. because the BBC in the UK says so!!!

In their 'Day in pictures ' section of the news there was THIS:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-28367266
caption:
Singer Adam Lamber (left) performing with the Queen guitarist Brian May at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
(Sorry could only bring in the small size picture.)

SUPER WELL DONE to Shosh for landing this - if it was her - although might be Queen''s people in advance of new music.

Thank you so very much Marie for your stream and Butterknife. Despite apocalyptic weather I had an amazing night. What a truly wonderful experience for Adam and the guys on so many different levels and for their audience. Love that they all just had FUN even though it was such an extraordinarily meaningful concert for them all. Loved your recap Visa - and thank you to everyone who posts tweets and photos and videos and recaps. They are incredibly appreciated. <3
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 18th 2014, 6:46 PM'

Great vid that shows the crowd's response and appreciation of Dr. Bri....and how into LOML the crowd was.

vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'vistadiva' date='Jul 18th 2014, 7:51 PM'

Every venue will have it's own perspective, and every show it's own high points. And where you may be sitting in an arena can effect your perspective.

The story behind the importance of Madison Square Garden and NYC to Brian was this: when he first started playing and being in a band, his father was very dismissive...telling him that he was ruining his life and wasting his education.
The first time Queen played MSG, Brian flew his Mom & Dad over to see the show. Afterwards his Dad told him that now he "gets" it.

New York (along with LA to maybe a lesser extent) is the home of live entertainment. Always has been because of Broadway. It ... and especially MSG...have a long history of live acts ... and most notably Rock & Roll. It's every performer's dream to sell out MSG. It's always been looked at as a benchmark of success. So, this was a big performance for Queen and for Adam..albeit for different reasons.
There was a lot of excitement leading up to this show because Brian made a point of announcing the tour at an MSG press conference, and saying that playing the venue again was very important to him. Last night he told the audience it was on his bucket list.

For Adam, just being able to sing to a sell out MSG- NYC audience is a dream come true.

So for these 2 men (and Roger to maybe a lesser extent) having an audience in this iconic venue stand on their feet all night, give lengthy ovations, be loud and appreciative all night with a HUGE finale was something special. For Adam, with his mother there, to hold a sell out MSG crowd in the palm of his hands brought him almost to tears at the end.

I mean no disrespect to any other venues...there have been many loud appreciative audiences on this tour. And QAL has give fabulous performances at all of them. But even if I weren't from the East Coast, I would still appreciate and understand why last night was so important to them.

ADAM LAMBERT @adamlambert
...still in awe of last night. Thank u New York for the warm reception and all the Hands in the air!

http://instagram.com/p/qnF_JxuNMa/
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'adamazing' date='Jul 18th 2014, 9:08 PM'

I'm a midwesterner from southern Missouri and we knew we had to fly somewhere to see this, but seeing Queen was on my bucket list. I totally get what you are saying about MSG - if I were a performer, that would be my dream as well. We actually went back and forth trying to pick between Vegas and New York. The only reason we ended up with Vegas was because my daughter wanted to go there to shop. :haha: Ended up we didn't get to do any shopping as I had work trauma and flew in last minute, went to the concert and flew back out same night. I'm saving for that 2015 Europe tour as I type.

Love that Adam is so thankful and humble, glad this came off my bucket list, and so glad his mom got to see him perform to a sold out MSG crowd.
vistadiva
MTT Member+
MTT Member+

Post by vistadiva »

'Love2Lurk' date='Jul 18th 2014, 9:16 PM'

Yes...the entertainment world is LA/NYC centric....with loads of entertainment history....

More big wigs from the entertainment world were most likely in attendance in LA & NYC....

When I read the story awhile back of Brian & his dad at MSG....I felt it was very sweet story.... :wub:

And Adam himself saying playing MSG was one of his dreams is very special indeed :flowers:

Totally agree....where each of us is seated can effect our perspective of the show....

Each of us is having a uniquely different personal overwhelming Queenbert experience.....

I am so happy I was not too close to be in the champagne stream :haha:

Yet close enough to see his eyes and the whole arena standing ...cheering....singing.... stomping...

It was an amazing beautiful experience watching the couch antics & the disco ball sparkle :wub:

I think Adam has had us all...in the palm of his hands :wub:

And...when Brian appeared wearing shirts from various cities....it was a very touching gesture to that crowd...

So proud and happy that Adam & Brian have given a heartfelt thank you to all of the cities.....

Yes...it is true there is much importance for MSG/ NYC show.... :thumbs: :thumbs:

There is also importance to the old question....."Will it play in Peoria?" :haha: :haha: :haha:

Return to “2014 QAL North America/Asia/Australia/New Zealand Tour”